Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #46837
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote" Previous topic | Next topic
6x7 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2006Sat 30-Jan-10 10:38 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remote"

Antwerpen, BE

Hello there,

I have a SC-28 remote cord for my SB-800 with D700 and D300, but sometimes it's to short, is there a solution to make it longer?
I look forward for your answers!

Photoworks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remote
blw Moderator
30th Jan 2010
6x7 Gold Member
31st Jan 2010
gkaiseril Gold Member
31st Jan 2010
6x7 Gold Member
31st Jan 2010
blw Moderator
31st Jan 2010
6x7 Gold Member
31st Jan 2010
mssandcbl
02nd Feb 2010
6x7 Gold Member
02nd Feb 2010

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 30-Jan-10 02:24 PM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

Use the built-in flash as a commander, and put the SB-800 in remote mode. That eliminates the cord entirely. It won't work at 50 feet, but for extending the length of an SC-28, it will almost certainly work. And the experiment is free, too.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

6x7 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2006Sun 31-Jan-10 10:31 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 1

Antwerpen, BE

Thanks for the reply!

I use the built-in flash often, but sometimes I need the cord for special lighting when the SB-800 is in a different place.
(camera inside, flash outside aming at a window).
So I would be greatfull if somebody can give me the answer to my question.

Photoworks

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 31-Jan-10 02:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 01-Feb-10 02:50 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You can chain SB-17/28/29 cords up to 3 cords. There are also 3rd party cords for longer lengths, 10m Nikon/Canon TTL Cords Now on Ebay.

Edit to Add:
Because of resistance within the cords, there is a limit on how long a cord can be used. If you can not get the longer cords or optical CLS to work then you will have to look at one of teh RF system solutions that supports CLS.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

6x7 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2006Sun 31-Jan-10 03:10 PM
#4. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 3

Antwerpen, BE

Dear George, you are a lifesaver!

Thanks a lot for the great information,
I bought the 10 meter cable on Ebay already.

Many thanks!

Photoworks

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 31-Jan-10 05:48 PM
26735 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

> So I would be greatfull if somebody can give me the answer to my question.

Believe it or not, I did answer your question - just not in the way that you expected.

You can set the SB-800 in remote mode, and have the built-in flash fire the SB-800 even though it is outside. (Although I'll admit that outside might be a tall order for the built-in flash.)

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

6x7 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2006Sun 31-Jan-10 08:32 PM
#6. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 5

Antwerpen, BE

Sorry if I offended you, this was not intended!
I use the remote often, but now I'm in need for a remote cord.
In the meantime a received a perfect solution, so thank you all.

Photoworks

mssandcbl Registered since 17th Feb 2009Tue 02-Feb-10 03:24 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlantic Beach, US

HI - THERE IS A 10 METER (30 FOOT CORD) THAT WORKS - problem is i don't remember exactly who i go it from - it was chinese and through ebay probably - check there - nice quality - hope you can find it - i think it was these guys - Shenzhen Yongnuo Photographic Equipment Co., Ltd.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

6x7 Gold Member Nikonian since 02nd Jun 2006Tue 02-Feb-10 05:39 AM
#8. "RE: Remote"
In response to Reply # 7

Antwerpen, BE

Yes, there I bought one!
Thank you all, my problems are over.

Photoworks

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #46837 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.