nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #46260
View in linear mode

Subject: "Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights" Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog   US  Registered since 08th Jun 2009 Sat 02-Jan-10 03:53 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"

I am trying to combine using two SB 900 flashes off camera in remote mode w/ two Alien Bee strobes, w/ one being connected to my D700 via a sync cord.

I have the SB 900s firing, but the Bees are not firing. I have the flash in the menu setup to a dash for the on camera flash and Group A is a dash, Group B channel 3 is the setting for the commander mode w/ the pop-up flash and the two remote flashes.

What setting is set incorrectly?

Thanks,

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights picmax
02nd Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
03rd Jan 2010
Reply message RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights ylwdog
03rd Jan 2010
03rd Jan 2010
          Reply message RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
04th Jan 2010
04th Jan 2010
04th Jan 2010

picmax   Boise, US  Registered since 03rd May 2007 Sat 02-Jan-10 06:51 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 0

Nikon camera is kinda strange... When the built-in flash is up, there is no x-sync signal in the PC socket. At least that's the case for my D200.

Try this to see if it works:

Use one SB900 on a TTL sync cord SC-28 or 29, set it up as commander unit but also contributes to exposure (M is not --). Set up another SB900 as a remote unit. Now the PC sync socket should have signal when the flashes fire. You can hook up your Alien Bee to it.

Max

Visit My Blog. Visit My Nikonians Gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.   Phoenix, US  Charter Member Sun 03-Jan-10 02:15 AM
8560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 0

Doug:

Here is another approach that is cordless.

I'm assuming that your Alien Bees have optical triggers mounted on them someplace, that will fire when they see another speedlight pulse.

Set your two SB900 speedlights to the SU-4 mode and place then in their remote locations on the set with the Alien Bees.

Next, set the speedlight control in your D700 to manual, not TTL. If left in TTL, the popup will fire a preflash pulse, which will trigger the remote SB900s and Alien Bees prior to shutter opening, and they will likely not have time to recycle for the shutter open image capture pulse.

Now, when the D700 popup speedlight fires, the remote SB900s and Alien Bees should all fire in sync for image capture.

Yes, all power level adjustments on the remote SB900s and Alien Bees will have to be made manually.

You may have other reasons for wanting a wired solution, but this is another option.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

ylwdog   US  Registered since 08th Jun 2009 Sun 03-Jan-10 11:22 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I am working with them now and will report back what does/does not work.

Thanks again!

Doug

ylwdog   US  Registered since 08th Jun 2009 Sun 03-Jan-10 11:16 PM
#4. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 3

Okay.... I have been able to resolve this through the help of Hal and Dave... thanks!
But I have two things I need help still on; I will post the other issue later tonight after I finish shooting... as I can make it work now.

The current dilemma is I need a third light source, and I have an old SB-25. I know it needs some way to trigger it. I tried connecting a sync cord to the Alien Bee and tripping it through the light, but this did not work?
Is there any way to make this work temporarily?

Thanks,

Doug

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.   Phoenix, US  Charter Member Mon 04-Jan-10 12:56 AM
8560 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 4

Doug:

I have never worked with Alien Bees, so cannot be sure of my comments. Beware!

I assume the SB-25 does not have an optical trigger, but does have a PC sync cord port, correct?

Did either the SB-25 and/or the Alien Bee connected to it fire?

On some studio strobes, the optical trigger is disabled when a PC or other sync cord is plugged in. I'm assuming the converse may also be true. The PC cord sync on the Alien Bees may be disabled when you are using them in the optical trigger mode. Test this and see what happens.

If this is true, you may have to use sync cords on one of the Alien Bees and the SB-25. Or, use just one sync cord on the SB-25 and let the SB900s and Alien Bees sync optically from it, assuming they can all see it.

You might also try one of the inexpensive optical triggers that fits onto the shoe of the SB-25. Wien and others offer them.

If none of this works, you may have to resort to an always-on "hot light" for your additional source. This of course introduces color temperature and ambient/supplemental balancing issues into the equation. There are usually ways around this. Let us know.

You could, of course, purchase another SB900. (Grin!) One can never have too many Nikon speedlights.

You are determined!

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

ylwdog   US  Registered since 08th Jun 2009 Mon 04-Jan-10 02:08 AM
#6. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 5

Hal,
Thanks. I will work w/ it more tomorrow night. But in the mean time if I could ask you a related question?
You mention the optical trigger... is there a benefit in using Nikon's SU-4 rather than an optical trigger?

Thanks for all the help!!!!

Doug

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.   Phoenix, US  Charter Member Mon 04-Jan-10 03:02 PM
#7. "RE: Remote Flash w/ Sync Cord to AB Lights"
In response to Reply # 6

Doug:

Some Nikon speedlights have built-in optical triggers that will function independent of the CLS TTL technology. Examples include the SB900 and SB800. When configured in the SU-4 mode, this permits their use with other non-CLS speedlights (e.g., studio strobes), where all power level settings are done manually. Instead of looking for the coded CLS preflash and image capture pulses, they will fire any time they see a speedlight pulse of any kind. Simple.

The Nikon SB600 and SB-R200 speedlights also include optical triggers, but they generally work only within the CLS TTL system. I have been able to sync the SB600 successfully by using the Nikon SU-4 module, which attaches to the hot shoe. This is different than the built-in SU-4 mode available in the SB900 and SB800. Others claim success with third-party optical triggers (e.g., Wein, et al), but I have been unable to successfully duplicate their setups. I know, this whole SU-4 business is all a bit confusing.

The advantage of the built-in SU-4 mode is that you do not need to purchase a separate optical trigger (Nikon's SU-4 module, or third party) and attach it to the speedlight's shoe.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #46260 Previous topic | Next topic