Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #46207
View in linear mode

Subject: "Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?" Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Wed 30-Dec-09 08:13 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"

US

I think I need/want to invest in some off camera equipment accessories, an arm and diffuser. I have a couple indoor events to shoot.

For the bracket I will use the RRS WPF1:
http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.asp?ic=WPF-1&eq=&Tp=

But for diffusing light I am wondering what other people can recommend.
I have seen the EZBoxy by Lastolite, Lumiquest (several options) and Photoflex all have some sort of softbox.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/496983-STUD/Lastolite_LL_LS2438M2_Hot_Shoe_EZYBOX_Softbox.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/mode/edu

http://www.lumiquest.com/strobist/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622537-REG/Photoflex_FV_XTXS222KIT_LiteDome_Kit_1_For.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/mode/edu#specifications

Thanks for any insight and assistance.

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?
D3Xuser
31st Dec 2009
jherrel Silver Member
31st Dec 2009
ylwdog
31st Dec 2009
ctadin Silver Member
31st Dec 2009
ylwdog
31st Dec 2009
jherrel Silver Member
01st Jan 2010

D3Xuser Registered since 29th Jul 2009Thu 31-Dec-09 06:21 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hamilton, NZ

Doug,
My Diffuser I use the most is the Gary Fong Whale Tail, head on over to garyfong.com and watch a video on the whale Tail.

Bill

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Thu 31-Dec-09 01:12 PM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"
In response to Reply # 0

Elgin, US

I recently bought two Lastolite EZBoxes and sofar they work really well with my SB900/800 speedlights. Quick to setup. I use Impact brand stands from B&H. Light is more controlled than umbrellas.

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Thu 31-Dec-09 01:42 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

John,
Do you think the EZBox would work on-camera, or is it too big for shooting on-the-go?

Thanks,

Doug

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Thu 31-Dec-09 03:24 PM
969 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"
In response to Reply # 3

St Louis, US

I also use the EZBox as well as Gary Fong Domes. I would not mount the flash attached to the ezbox on the camera's hot shoe because it would be too cumbersome.

What flash do you have? I purchased and sent back GF collapsible dome for the SB-900 because I had a difficult time getting it on my flash. In fact, I never was able to get it on my flash at all. I instead purchased GF universal dome.

Cheryl

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Thu 31-Dec-09 04:51 PM
#5. "RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"
In response to Reply # 4

US

I am using the SB 900 and just was recommended the Wescott Micro Apollo.

This looks like a good option.

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Fri 01-Jan-10 02:11 PM
667 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Off Camera Flash Equipment Questions?"
In response to Reply # 3

Elgin, US

I have the 24 X 24 size. If I mounted it on the hotshoe, the lower front edge of the softbox would be in front of the lens and you wouldn't be able to take any pictures. This is definitely off camera light stand gear.

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #46207 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.