Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #462
View in linear mode

Subject: "Off camera flash w/ N80" Previous topic | Next topic
highnoon Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 12:54 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Off camera flash w/ N80"

Olympia, US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-01 AT 04:36 AM (GMT)

I hope to buy an SB-28 soon, to use as (mostly) as an off-camera flash. I'm not really interested in the SU-4, because it's expensive, and I still need to use the flash on my camera to trigger it. Unfortunately, the N80 doesn't have a PC terminal. So, a question;

I have seen the Nikon hot shoe -> pc terminal adapter, its cheap, and w/ a sync cord, seems to be the perfect answer. Does TTL work through the PC terminal? (It sure seems like it should) and if not, is there such thing as a sync cord w/ a male hot shoe on one end, and a female hotshoe on the other?

UPDATE: OK, I found the SC-17 (my hotshoe cord) which seems good, but kind of pricey at $55. I guess the PC adapter, and the sync cord would be about $40.. but hey, thats 3 rolls of provia! So, a simplified question, do you get TTL through a pc terminal adapter?

Thanks!

John

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Off camera flash w/ N80
jjussi
16th Oct 2001
jnscbl
16th Oct 2001
highnoon
17th Oct 2001
Ed
17th Oct 2001
highnoon
18th Oct 2001
jnscbl
17th Oct 2001
odie
19th Oct 2001

jjussi Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 03:09 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 0

KLAUKKALA, FI

>So, a simplified question, do you get TTL
>through a pc terminal adapter?

Simple answer... No!

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 02:38 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Since no one believes bad news the first time they hear it...........NO! ---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

highnoon Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-01 03:54 AM
57 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 2

Olympia, US

Well, SC-17 it is then. It seems like the addition of TTL would be worth $15

Thanks

Ed Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-01 05:16 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 3

US

> the sync cord would be about $40.. but hey, thats 3 rolls
> of provia!

Holy! Where do you get that expensive Provia? At my local lab, most pro slide films (Provia 100F, Velvia, E100VS, E100SW, etc.) are available at $9 USD per roll including E-6 processing and mounting! Other slide films are $7.50 USD also includes processing and mounting.

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

highnoon Basic MemberThu 18-Oct-01 01:48 AM
#6. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 4

Olympia, US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-01 AT 03:50 AM (GMT)

Well, from B&H it's 4.59 for Provia 100, but I buy it through work, so I dont have to pay sales tax, and the cost is taken out of my gross pay, so I dont pay income tax either. To top that off, we get same day delivery from B&H. I haven't done the actual math, but it ends up being pretty cheap, and convenient this way. E6 is $5 for 3hr processing/mounting.

John

jnscbl Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-01 07:31 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Smart move. It IS worth it. It's about the only thing Nikon that they really do stick you for, and it's not that much.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

odie Basic MemberFri 19-Oct-01 01:32 AM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Off camera flash w/ N80"
In response to Reply # 0

The SB50 has a built in slave feature that works great. Plus has a cool diffuser for built in strobe.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #462 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.