Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #45991
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit" Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Thu 24-Dec-09 09:42 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"

US

I have a SB-25 along with an SB-900. Is there an adapter that can be attached to the SB-25 to have it fire as a remote/slave unit? It would be used as a rear fill light behind the model. If this is possible could you provide links to the correct adapter? I am new to flash and trying to get my head around all the terminology and processes it takes to get it working.

Thanks,

Doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit
MEMcD Moderator
24th Dec 2009
ylwdog
24th Dec 2009
MEMcD Moderator
24th Dec 2009
eddds Gold Member
24th Dec 2009
ylwdog
24th Dec 2009
Arkayem Moderator
24th Dec 2009
ylwdog
25th Dec 2009
Luke_Miller Silver Member
25th Dec 2009
Arkayem Moderator
25th Dec 2009
ylwdog
28th Dec 2009

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-Dec-09 11:35 AM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Doug,

As long as you are willing to use your SB-900 and the SB-25 remote in Manual flash mode with your camera set in Manual exposure mode.
You can use a Nikon SU-4, (The SB-25 may have a built in SU-4 mode, you will have to check the SB-25 User Manual) Here is a link: http://www.adorama.com/NKSU4.html?kbid=64628&searchinfo=Nikon+SU-4.
The SU-4 was designed to be TTL compatible with Film TTL flash control. Film TTL flash control is not compatible with i-TTL flash control used on all current Nikon DSLR's. Therefore TTL flash control is not possible with the SU-4 and a Nikon DSLR.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Thu 24-Dec-09 02:10 PM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi Marty,
Thanks once again for your help.
I am bit confused by what is needed and what is possible, this is partially due to my lack of experience and the different things I am reading and then from your explanation. Could we discuss this in further detail?

I am shooting w/ a D700 so in commander mode to the remote off flash SB 900 with iTTL,(correct), now to fire the SB 25 will the SU-4 trigger the flash via optical slave?

Thanks,

Doug

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 24-Dec-09 05:32 PM
25649 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Doug,

>I am shooting w/ a D700 so in commander mode to the remote off
>flash SB 900 with iTTL,(correct), now to fire the SB 25 will
>the SU-4 trigger the flash via optical slave?

No! The TTL preflashes will trigger the SB-25/SU-4 combination before the shutter opens, and unless the SB-25 is set at a very low power level, the capacitor will be discharged by the tme the shutter opens and the triggering flash fires.

It will work if you set the D700's Speedlight in Manual flash mode with the remote SB-900 in Manual flash mode as well.

Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

eddds Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jan 2006Thu 24-Dec-09 02:36 PM
462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 0

Byblos, LB

If you're using manuel flash mode, you could use the Sb25 directly on the camera and use the SB900 as a slave. (I've used this combination with the SB25 and SB800 by setting the SB800 on SU4).

Regards,

Edgard

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Thu 24-Dec-09 02:59 PM
#4. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Edgard,
Thanks for the help. But what I want is to use completely off camera flash lighting the scene, so the SB 25 would be a backlight.

doug

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 24-Dec-09 09:12 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 4

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi Edgard,
>Thanks for the help. But what I want is to use completely off
>camera flash lighting the scene, so the SB 25 would be a
>backlight.
>
>doug

Hi Doug,

I assume you want to use the pop-up flash to trigger both the SB-900 and the SB-25.

As the other reply indicated, you won't be able to use CLS mode. In fact, you won't have any automatic mode to use, so you will need a flash meter to set the power of both flash units manually (or you can just set them by trial and error).

The only way you will be able to do it is to use full Manual mode on the pop-up (not Commander mode), and then put the SB900 in SU-4 mode and set its power manually on the back of it. Then, for the SB-25 you will have to buy an optical adapter, since I do not believe it has an SU-4 mode built-in. I bought a cheap optical slave adaptor off eBay just for that purpose ($9.95, I think). Just search for 'Optical Slave' on EB.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Fri 25-Dec-09 09:03 AM
#7. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your reply. I am still confused by why the SB-25 w/ SU-4 cannot be used with i-TTL. In the description from Nikon it lists the SU-4 will enable the flash to be actuated by the light from another flash: (See below- This was taken from Nikon's site in describing the SU-4, specifically #3).
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The SU-4 Wireless Remote TTL Flash Controller enables wireless remote flash with automatic TTL or manual exposure control.
Can be attached to some current and prior Nikon Speedlight models and cameras.
Detects the firing of the master flash (including built-in Speedlight) and sends a firing start signal to the slave unit.
Terminates the firing of the slave flash by detecting firing stop signal. Eliminates the need for connecting cord.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
So if the SU-4 can read the master flash, which would by the pop-up unit, and I place the SU-4 in manual mode, could I not still use iTTL for the SB-900?
I do see that the SB-900 has an SU-4 mode, so maybe I need to put it in this mode which kills the iTTL?

Thanks,

Doug

ps. I just found your blog and it has some great info, I have a separate question, and one you touched on in one of your posts. I will be posting here if you have time to look and reply I would be grateful.

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Fri 25-Dec-09 04:34 PM
1473 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 7

Rural Virginia, US

Doug

Russ is correct. They only way to use your SB-25 is to have all flashes in manual. The SU-4 will trigger the SB-25 at the first flash that it sees. If you are using CLS that first flash will be a preflash and the SB-25 will fire messing up the flash exposure calculations in your camera. I have tried to do this using every trick I could think of. No way does it work.

Now I do use my SB-25 in my small studio with my White Lightning monolights. All flashes are in manual and the output metered with a flash meter. The SB-25 is nice and light compared to a monolight and is very useful as a hair light.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 25-Dec-09 04:43 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 8

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Doug
>
>Russ is correct. They only way to use your SB-25 is to have
>all flashes in manual. The SU-4 will trigger the SB-25 at the
>first flash that it sees. If you are using CLS that first
>flash will be a preflash and the SB-25 will fire messing up
>the flash exposure calculations in your camera. I have tried
>to do this using every trick I could think of. No way does it
>work.

Absolutely correct. And the SB-25 will fire before the shutter opens, which means it won't contribute to the image.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Mon 28-Dec-09 02:07 PM
#10. "RE: SB-25 as Remote/Slave Unit"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Thanks Russ and Luke for your last replies... and everyone else.
It has really been helpful sorting through the array of possibilities.

Best,

doug

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #45991 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.