nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #458
View in linear mode

Subject: "FA and SB-28" Previous topic | Next topic
mbowker64 Silver Member Charter MemberMon 15-Oct-01 11:33 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FA and SB-28"

Lansing, US

How compatible is my SB28 with my back up FA?

Mike

"Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see"
-William Newton Clark

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jjussi Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 04:13 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FA and SB-28"
In response to Reply # 0

KLAUKKALA, FI

>How compatible is my SB28 with
>my back up FA?

No TTL, just A mode on flash. So you must tell flash what aperature you use and what is ISO of your film. But other ways it's compatible...

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

mbowker64 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 16-Oct-01 10:53 PM
366 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FA and SB-28"
In response to Reply # 1

Lansing, US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-01 AT 11:59 PM (GMT)

I just got my hands on the FA manual. It says:"The FA offers fully automatic through-the-lens (TTL) control of the falsh exposure" Now it also mentions that this is available with Nikon dedicated flash units and lists the SB15, 16B and 18. Why won't it work with the SB28? After all, if it did, that would be what I call backwards compatibility.

Actually, I just looked in my Magic Lantern guide and the author states "....but also with my Nikon FA using the standard TTL autoflash mode."

I guess I answered my own question. Should have looked in the book first.

Mike

"Faith is the daring of the soul to go farther than it can see"
-William Newton Clark

jjussi Basic MemberWed 17-Oct-01 04:26 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: FA and SB-28"
In response to Reply # 2

KLAUKKALA, FI

You are right.. My mistake.. (that happend when you are too tired when you write..)

Next is form SB-28's manual
"Standard TTL Flash (FA,FE2,FG,...)
You manually select a flash output level so that the main subject is correctly exposed regardless of the background brightness. This system is not designed to automatically provide a balance between flash and ambient light; it is limited to efficient operation in dim-light conditions and is not recommended for use in very bright lighting conditions. This system does not directly link the cameras's light meter and the SB-28's TTL sensor."

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #458 Previous topic | Next topic