Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #454
View in linear mode

Subject: "Most compact fill flash for FM and F4" Previous topic | Next topic
FMDan Basic MemberMon 15-Oct-01 05:10 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Most compact fill flash for FM and F4"

US

Ok. I am looking for the smallest flash to do the following:

I have both an FM and an F4. I need the smallest possible flash that will let me do fill on both the FM and F4. On the F4 obviously it would be balanced TTL fill. On the FM I imagine it would be the very imprecise auto mode 1-2 stops under type approach.

My initial thought was perhaps an SB-23 but apparently the SB-23 won't do Auto. Is the SB-22 (much bigger) my only choice? Small is really important here.

I'm not interested in a replacement for my Vivitar 285 right now. I'm looking for something really small.

I'm trying to develop a nice little one body, one lens, one little flash concept here, starring mainly the FM, but with a flash that will also work nicely with the F4 when necessary. I suppose I would consider something that didn't interface perfectly with the F4 if it fit all of my other criteria.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Dan

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 12:32 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Most compact fill flash for FM and F4"
In response to Reply # 0

US

For both, yes, SB22s. It has one manual, four AUTO ranges, as well as TTL. If you want small and lightweight, though, why not get two small, lightweight, very inexpensive units? Vivitar 2800, $30, one manual, two auto range for the FM; Sunpak 355 TTL only (NO manual or AUTO), $40, for the f4. It's only fair to warn you, though, that the Vivitar 2800 has this auto-off function, kinda like a calculator, and it is a REAL pisser. I bought it mainly for slave use, and it's worthless for that, since you never know when it's cut itself off. That was just an example---I'm sure Sunpak has an equivalent inexpensive little manual/auto unit. If not, maybe Achiever.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

FMDan Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 01:24 AM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Most compact fill flash for FM and F4"
In response to Reply # 1

US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-01 AT 02:30 PM (GMT)

Vivitar 2800, $30, one manual,
>two auto range for the
>FM; Sunpak 355 TTL only
>(NO manual or AUTO), $40,
>for the f4.
Are they both smaller than the SB-22s?

Also, when you say two auto range for the Vivitar, do you mean two f-stops? If so, is that sufficient for daylight fill flash purposes?

Lastly, will the Sunpak will do same kind of balanced fill flash on the F4 as the SB-22s?

Thanks

Dan

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 03:06 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Most compact fill flash for FM and F4"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Yes, 2 different f-stops. At ISO100, they are f2, 7-40 ft., and f4, out to 20 ft. For each doubling of ISO, shift up a stop, leaving the distance the same. For fill use, you would actually have your aperture set to one stop smaller. That means shooting at f5.6 outdoors, basically. And with a synch speed of 1/125 on the FM, that means cloudy day or deep shade on sunny days.

The Sunpak and TTL is the same as the SB22s. It's a cheapy little thing, but hell, it works. It even has a bounce head, and push/pull zoom like your 285. If the F4 has flash compensation on the body, it will work with the 355. I've used it with the N80. I have an SB22s also, and though not very much bigger than these two, it's chunky and heavy, and uncomfortable to balance on an FM2. Oh, BTW, the 2800 comes with this cute little set of snap-in filters! Red, yellow, blue(80A?), orange(85B?), and WA diffuser.---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #454 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.