Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #449
View in linear mode

Subject: "speedlight for the FM3A" Previous topic | Next topic
paulojolkesky Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 11:01 AM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"speedlight for the FM3A"

BR

Hi all,

I am new here as I am in Nikon world. I come from a Canon system and now I am finally getting the Nikon I ever dreamed about.
I got a FM3A with a 50mm f/1.4 nikkor, and as I am an adventure
photographer, serious amateur level, I actually need a speedlight.

Would someone please recommend me a budget one with TTL, for use in outdoors activities? I am a cave explorer, and I am asking for a budget speedlight because the excess umidity of the caves always dammage the eletronoc devices such as flashes.

The most recommended for the FM3 are SB27 and SB 50, but those
seem to be very fragile to take under a cave, ans very expensive too.

I have had two Canon flashes completely damaged due to this, and I think it will be a big investment if I have to buy a new speedlighr each time I go caving!

Thank you,

Paulo, from Brazil.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

odie Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 12:04 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: speedlight for the FM3A"
In response to Reply # 0

Paulo,

I will take this as an opportunity to repent for a past sin.

I just received an SB50dx as a gift. Outside of the lithium batteries, it is truly a fabulous little unit. The guide number is not way powerful, just 75-85.

It is forward compatible with digital Nikons, and will work with the FM/FE series. Moreso, it is a nice compact size for the FE/FM cameras.

Some here know I had previously given this flash a panning after testing it. I recant. Now I just need to find a rechargable power source and get the $14 set of lithium out of there.

dw Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 12:28 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "speedligth"
In response to Reply # 0

Hong Kong,

SB50DX will be a good choice. If branding is not a problem to you, I will suggest Vivitar flash series. I previously used Vivitar flash for my F401 several years with very good results. Recently I have purchased several sets for my friends' F90 and F80. All with good results.

Vivitar is compatible with Nikon's ordinary TTL system (the most basic one, not the 2 more advanced ones available to F5, F100 and F90). I don't know whether FM3A havs these all these TTL modes. However, with fraction of a Nikon speedlight, you can't demand much.

Details of the spec can be found from Vivitar web site.

odie Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 12:35 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: speedligth"
In response to Reply # 2

Oh yeah,

I'm with dw, check Sunpak and Vivitar. You may be able to find a nice compromise unit.

SB50=$200
Sunpak= $49-$250
vivitar= same

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #449 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.