Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #43559
View in linear mode

Subject: "Need Help Making a Choice..." Previous topic | Next topic
aj_witt Registered since 13th Feb 2008Thu 03-Sep-09 01:51 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Need Help Making a Choice..."

Jacksonville, US

I currently have a SB600 and an SB800 and want to add more lights to my equipment.

I can get 2 SB600's for the price of one SB900. So the question is, do I opt for 1 SB900 or 2 SB600's.

AJ Witt
www.ajwittphotography.com
www.flickr.com/photos/aj_witt

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Need Help Making a Choice...
ricdiggle Silver Member
03rd Sep 2009
aj_witt
03rd Sep 2009
ricdiggle Silver Member
03rd Sep 2009
aj_witt
03rd Sep 2009
CharlieS Silver Member
03rd Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2009
ricdiggle Silver Member
03rd Sep 2009
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Sep 2009

ricdiggle Silver Member Charter MemberThu 03-Sep-09 03:05 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 0

Huddersfield, GB

What are you going to be using them for?

The 900 is nice in quite a few ways. The 200mm zoom is very cool and the focus light works a lot better with the 51 point AF systems in the D300/700 and D3/x cameras. It's also more powerful etc etc.
The convenience of the 'remote' / 'master' switch may or may not be a benefit - I never use on camera flash so my SB-800s are all permanently on Remote anyway.

I'm looking for a couple of extra lights as well but I'm hanging on for the SB-700 (or whatever it will be called) as I'm in no rush at all.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

aj_witt Registered since 13th Feb 2008Thu 03-Sep-09 03:15 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 1

Jacksonville, US

I will be using them most for shoots with models. So the 200mm zoom probably isn't something I would use much. If I need it, I can always snoot the flash.

The recycle time is nice, but again, is it worth 2x the price? That's what I'm struggling with.

AJ Witt

ricdiggle Silver Member Charter MemberThu 03-Sep-09 06:11 PM
862 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 2

Huddersfield, GB

It's hard to say really. If you factor in future re-sale value then it probably is worth the extra.
If you are just after a couple of drone flashes to add to the output, there are cheaper ways of doing it than either of the Nikons mentioned.

Is the CLS important or do you set them up in manual mode?

My Gallery

aj_witt Registered since 13th Feb 2008Thu 03-Sep-09 06:25 PM
#4. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 3

Jacksonville, US

You bring up a good point. If I'm just looking for extra lights to set the mood by putting gels over them and using them in the background, I could probably get away with some cheaper flashes.

That being said, if I went with cheaper non-Nikon flashes I would need Pocket Wizards (or similar product) to make them work right?

Any suggestions for non-Nikon flashes and a cheaper alternative to Pocket Wizards?

AJ Witt

CharlieS Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Thu 03-Sep-09 06:57 PM
1729 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thinking in terms of manual flash's, something like the sunpak 333, or the vivitar 285 may fit your needs. I dont know the specific's of the vivitar, though as i recall the 333 has a GN of around 90, 3 automatic modes depending on flash/subject distance, and full manual mode with power settings from full to 1/8th. It also has a built in slot in the flash head for gel's. 422 and 433 sunpak's are similar.

If you're using them primarily indoors, optical triggers are effecient and much cheaper than pocket wizards. Though you will need a camera mounted, or cable connected flash to trigger them.

If you do end up with some brand of aftermarket flash, and foresee the eventuality of using them on camera, be sure to check the trigger voltage. I believe nikon caps the save trigger voltage at 250, though i'd be hesitant to use a flash on camera with a trigger voltage that high. My old sunpack 333, and SB-800 both trigger at a nominal 6 volts and so far i've had no flash trigger voltage issues.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 03-Sep-09 07:55 PM
25584 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi AJ,

I am assuming you will be using the cheap remotes in a studio or on location where you will be the only one using flash. If so a Wein Peanut optical slave is the cheapest answer to your problem. If others will be using flash as well, the RF triggers are the way to go.
Paul Buff manufactures the CyberSync line of RF triggers. They are reasonably priced and reliable. here is a link to one of his sites: www.alienbees.com.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

ricdiggle Silver Member Charter MemberThu 03-Sep-09 08:51 PM
#7. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 6

Huddersfield, GB

Or just scour eBay for older Nikon SBs with manual control and use them with SU-4 hot shoe adapters.

I've thought about this route myself but I like the CLS system too much to go back now and using SU-4 means no more pre-flash so I'm waiting for SB-700

My Gallery

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 03-Sep-09 09:24 PM
25584 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Need Help Making a Choice..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Richard,

The SU-4 has the same problem as the any optical slave when there is more than one photographer using flash.
The SU-4 is also much more expensive than a Wein Peanut.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #43559 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.