Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #428
View in linear mode

Subject: "n80 fill flash daylight" Previous topic | Next topic
changster Basic MemberTue 09-Oct-01 03:33 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"n80 fill flash daylight"

I have a n80 and i want to use the fill flash during day light how would i do that? i seem to pop up the flash but it doesn't seem to fire? I am thinking about buying an sb-28 do you think its worth it compare to any other flashs? Thank YOu

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: n80 fill flash daylight
jnscbl
09th Oct 2001
rdoorn
14th Oct 2001
avitar
15th Oct 2001
CharlesYVR
15th Oct 2001
Johnny
15th Oct 2001
avitar
16th Oct 2001
Johnny
16th Oct 2001
reflux88
01st Nov 2001
Johnny
01st Nov 2001
Johnny
02nd Nov 2001

jnscbl Basic MemberTue 09-Oct-01 04:14 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If it's popped up, it fires. If you are using fast film outdoors in sunshine, the 1/125 flash synch speed requires a very small aperture. It's possible the flash won't contribute much, except for a rather close portrait. With a GN of 39, the built-in flash won't reach beyond about a yard/meter at f11.
---scott

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=149771

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

rdoorn Basic MemberSun 14-Oct-01 06:28 PM
40 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 0

Enschede, NL

Just pop it up and it flashes as much as needed.
I have had the same expirence. Pop the flash, compose the image, recompose, recompose, nikon goes in standby mode, you press the release, no flash!.
I've found out that if the camera goes into standby you have to repop the flash.

http://www.van-doorn.org

avitar Mon 15-Oct-01 12:48 AM

#3. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 0

I have the N80. At first I bought the SB50 but returned it 2 weeks later and got teh SB28, my pictures are much better for it. I also bought a $15 Sto-Fen Omni bounce ( a little white plastic box/cap and with it set to 45degrees I am getting really nice soft light.
I am very happy with the SB28, and am just beginning to learn how to use it.

CharlesYVR Basic MemberMon 15-Oct-01 05:41 AM
404 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver, CA

Make sure the flash is fully up... otherwise it won't fire. I was traveling with a friend who was using an F80 as well and she was wearing a hat. Well, the hat was pushing down on the flash so it wasn't extended all the way up, and it didn't fire.

Charles
Vancouver, BC
http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=128765

Johnny Basic MemberMon 15-Oct-01 02:19 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 3

Westampton, US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-15-01 AT 04:20 PM (GMT)

Gary (avitar),

Why are you setting your flash at 45 degrees when you have the Omni Bounce on? The purpose of the Omni Bounce is to soften up the (sometimes) harsh light that comes from the flash when you have the flash pointed directly at your subject.

Optionally (without the Omni Bounce), you can tilt your flash up and bounce it off the ceiling to give a softer light. Just be aware that your flash can take on a color cast if you have a colored ceiling. You also should point it in such an angle (not just 45 degrees) that it will hit directly at a mid-point between you and your subject. That way, the bounced light will fall directly on your subject. Just be aware that you lose the TTL flash capabilities when you bounce your flash.

When you bounce your flash with the Omni Bounce, you are defeating some of your purpose. The Omni Bounce will soften up the light yet the flash needs a strong signal to overcome the distance from you to the ceiling and from the ceiling to your subject.

Personally, I would do one or the other but not both.

Johnny

Johnny

---
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

avitar Tue 16-Oct-01 12:35 AM

#6. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 5

thank you for your response. There was a card in the package with the Omni Bounce that said to angle it that way and to never point it straight ahead, but I have been getting results that are TOO SOFT with the method I have been using. The last two rolls of baby pictures (supra 400 and NPH 400)were not enough contrast, is that why? the pics look like I was trying to get a real soft light effect, its nice but not what I was trying to do, and some of them were bath pics, where the room was bright and white.. ???

Johnny Basic MemberTue 16-Oct-01 01:11 PM
1038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 6

Westampton, US

Gary,

When you shoot with a flash at 45 degrees, you are directing the flash to hit above your subject. You might not be getting enough light to your subject. I have seen it where a lab machine corrects an underexposed negative with a print that is flatter in color and contrast and more grainy. This might be what you're getting.

As for the bath photos, try a roll without flash. The room might be bright enough to go without it. Babies are a funny subject for flash. Most of them will exhibit red eye and no amount of red eye reduction (on the flash) can help. Their eyes adjust very slowly. Try raising the level of ambient light. Their eyes close down and you might not need flash.

Johnny

Johnny

---

reflux88 Basic MemberThu 01-Nov-01 01:08 AM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 5

"That way, the bounced light will fall directly on your subject. Just be aware that you lose the TTL flash capabilities when you bounce your flash."-

Johnny , just a question. Why wont the TTL function work when the flash is bounced ?

Johnny Basic MemberThu 01-Nov-01 01:59 PM
#9. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 8

Westampton, US

I think I'm going to have to go back to my documentation on that. Now that you question it, it might be that 3D balanced fill flash might not be capable when the flash head is tilted. Regular TTL could be still available.

Let me check to be sure and I will get back to you!

Johnny

Johnny

---

Johnny Basic MemberFri 02-Nov-01 02:03 PM
#10. "RE: n80 fill flash daylight"
In response to Reply # 8

Westampton, US

I went and took at look at the books. Bounced flash indeed will be TTL. Sorry for the misinformation. Just be aware that the distance scale will disappear because the flash has no idea how far away the ceiling is from your subject.

Johnny

Johnny

---

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #428 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.