Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42785
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash Unit SB-25 w/ D700" Previous topic | Next topic
ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sat 11-Jul-09 12:02 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash Unit SB-25 w/ D700"

US

I am fairly new w/ my D700 and not ever shot w/ a flash. I have an older SB-25 from a film camera N90. I have been told that the SB-25 is not compatible w/ the D700 but could be used as a slave.

I understand the concept but have not practical experience of what is needed to set this up as a slave. I am purchasing a SB-900 shortly and would like to understand how to combine the use of the SB-25.

Could someone provide how these will work together, the additional items to make it a slave?

thx,

doug

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 11-Jul-09 01:01 AM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Flash Unit SB-25 w/ D700"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

First, the SB-25 is compatible with the D700, but only in auto (ie non-TTL) and manual mode. For moderate focal lengths, auto mode will work pretty well - it's when the field of view gets different from the flash's sensor things get pretty inaccurate. It works pretty well from about 35-70mm on FX.

> but could be used as a slave.

It's probably not worth the effort. The SB-900 uses iTTL flash metering, which means that it does a pre-flash before the exposure; this is used to calculate the necessary flash intensity. Great, except that the SB-25 has an optical slave, called the SU-4. This thingie, which looks like a slightly over-sized hot shoe, just watches for a sudden flash of light. When it sees it, it tells its flash unit to fire. Great, except that the SB-900's preflash will fire it - and then when the real flash comes a few tens of milliseconds later, it won't have any juice left to do the job. So you have to put the SB-900 in manual or auto mode, losing most of its capabilities.

Given that an SU-4 costs about $50 - used - and a whole SB-200 flash costs $160, it seems like it'd be a better choice to just get iTTL gear.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ylwdog Registered since 08th Jun 2009Sat 11-Jul-09 08:41 AM
146 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash Unit SB-25 w/ D700"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks Brian.

Someone in my photo club mentioned to me the potential problem of incompatible voltage demands between the old flashes and new ones. That possibly could "fry" the camera. Is this accurate?

doug

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sat 11-Jul-09 10:22 AM
26589 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Flash Unit SB-25 w/ D700"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

In general this is accurate, but the SB-25 is a "new" flash in this regard. It's voltage is known to be compatible. "Old" in this context is really pretty old - my 25-year-old SB-20 is "new" by these standards. Some of the third party units (eg Vivitar 283) high trigger voltages a bit later, but certainly everything made in the last 15 years or so is safe, and Nikon stuff going back almost 30 years is good.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Chan Tran Registered since 04th Dec 2003Sun 12-Jul-09 02:07 AM
2598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash Unit SB-25 w/ D700"
In response to Reply # 3

Aurora, US

You can use the SB-25 as the only flash with the D700. won't harm the camera and is only good for non-ttl auto mode. It let you choose 2 different apertures for each iso setting. You won't have any automatic exposure control when use it as slave.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42785 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.