nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42754
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flah zoom on DX" Previous topic | Next topic
jon_b   UK  Registered since 14th Jul 2008 Wed 08-Jul-09 09:46 AM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flah zoom on DX"

I’ve just picked up a SB600 having used a 400 for a while and deciding that some of the futures of it’s big brother would be handy.

Here’s my confusion, can you point out where I’ve missed the point? As I understand it when fitted with an appropriate lens, the camera reports focal length to the flash. The flash then uses this info to set the zoom, if the flash is in auto zoom mode. Now here’s my confusion, the camera a D90 is a crop sensor camera, so the zoom set is in effect wrong, is that right?

I believe that the big daddy the SB900 understands what camera is being used and corrects for this. Why doesn’t the camera, which knows it’s a crop camera, report the appropriate focal length to the flash i.e. corrected for crop factor. It seems daft to put this responsibility onto the flash?

Have I missed something.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42754 Previous topic | Next topic