nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42738
View in linear mode

Subject: "Low-key photography & a Speedlight" Previous topic | Next topic
zonker55 Registered since 17th Apr 2007Tue 07-Jul-09 01:32 PM
11 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Low-key photography & a Speedlight"

St. John, US

Hi all.

I'm interested in taking some low-key shots of my kids, but haven't been able to get the lighting setup correct. I think I'm going about it the wrong way by using a single SB-800. Does a speedlight throw out too much light for this type of photography?

Thanks in advance for the insights & assistance!

Matt

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 07-Jul-09 05:42 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Low-key photography & a Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 07-Jul-09 06:03 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You can set the flash power level of the SB-800 in many ways, there are any number of light modifiers that can be attached to the SB-800, and one can manually set the 'Zoom' for the flash head.

You can use the Flash Value (FV) for minor adjustments in flash level or manually set the power level from 1/1 to 1/128 on the SB-800 either attached to the camera or as a remote slave.

There are filters, diffuser domes, cell diffusers, barn doors, snoots that can be attached to the SB-800. Then there is the built-in bounce card with the SB-800.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Kadmos Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Mar 2006Wed 08-Jul-09 02:14 PM
1222 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Low-key photography & a Speedlight"
In response to Reply # 0

Perth, AU

Matt,

I am also a newbie to really understanding flash photography - largely for portraits of my grand kids. I am using D300 and SB600 flash. Amongst other things that haveworked for me - and is pretty cheap - is to buy a Gary Fong Lightsphere. Lighting quality has improved immensely. I have just bought a basic studio lighting system so I'm sure I'll be on this forum asking for a lot of help in near future. Be warned!

John

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42738 Previous topic | Next topic