Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42702
View in linear mode

Subject: "How best to photograph my classic car at night" Previous topic | Next topic
56chevy Registered since 05th Oct 2008Sun 05-Jul-09 07:41 PM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How best to photograph my classic car at night"

Austin, US

OK -- here is the set up......
I want to take late evening / night photographs of my 56 Chevy with an old run down wearhouse in the background.

I have found the place to do it finally, but don't really know how to set up and shoot to get the effect that I want.

I want the surrounding areas to clearly show that it is night time, I want the car to be flashed -- and I want "some" of the backround (the old wearhouse) to be seen as well.
The car will be parked only about 5-10 feet away from the side of the building.

I plan to shoot with my D700 and either my 17-35 f2.8 or my 24-70 f2.8 (whichever gives me the best FOV from my shooting location)
I have two light stands (with umbrellas), two SB600 and one SB900.
My thought is to shoot wireless so that I can use all three flash units.

Any thoughts on how best to set this up -- and what flash mode I should shoot it to get the background visiable as well ?

Thanks in advance for any help

Art
"Feels so good feeling good again"

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night
Arkayem Moderator
05th Jul 2009
56chevy
05th Jul 2009
jon_b
06th Jul 2009
Arkayem Moderator
06th Jul 2009
56chevy
06th Jul 2009
cwthompson Silver Member
08th Jul 2009
PLF Gold Member
09th Jul 2009

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 05-Jul-09 08:31 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>OK -- here is the set up......
>I want to take late evening / night photographs of my 56 Chevy
>with an old run down wearhouse in the background.
>
>I have found the place to do it finally, but don't really know
>how to set up and shoot to get the effect that I want.
>
>I want the surrounding areas to clearly show that it is night
>time, I want the car to be flashed -- and I want
>"some" of the backround (the old wearhouse) to be
>seen as well.
>The car will be parked only about 5-10 feet away from the side
>of the building.
>
>I plan to shoot with my D700 and either my 17-35 f2.8 or my
>24-70 f2.8 (whichever gives me the best FOV from my shooting
>location)
>I have two light stands (with umbrellas), two SB600 and one
>SB900.
>My thought is to shoot wireless so that I can use all three
>flash units.
>
>Any thoughts on how best to set this up -- and what flash mode
>I should shoot it to get the background visiable as well ?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help

Assuming it is pitch dark: One thing that would be fun to try is 'Light Painting'. I would put the camera in manual mode front curtain shutter and a very long exposure, say 30 sec. Then I would place the two SB600's in Remote mode in umbrellas about 10 feet from the car, right and left of the camera about four feet. The umbrellas will light the car but not the barn.

I would then get the SB900 ready in Manual mode, holding in my hand, set to 1/1 (full power), with my finger on the fire button on the flash.

Then, I would trip the shutter of the camera and run quickly behind the cars as far as you can run in 20 seconds, to get reasonably close to the barn, aim the handheld SB900 at the barn, and press the fire button. If you have a second person standing closer to the barn, who can run out and fire the SB900 it will give you more time and you might be able to use less shutter (allowing less ambient into the picture). You have to be sure to fire the flash at the barn from an angle so you are not between the barn and the camera when you fire the SB900 or you may appear as a silouhette against the barn.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

56chevy Registered since 05th Oct 2008Sun 05-Jul-09 09:30 PM
208 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

Russ
GREAT idea -- I will certainly give that a try -- sounds like fun

However, before it gets completely dark -- I plan to shoot also -- and want to get the building in the background in the shot

What flash mode do I use for that -- is it slow rear sync by chance ?

Thanks again

Art

jon_b Registered since 14th Jul 2008Mon 06-Jul-09 12:14 PM
268 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

I’ve seen some pretty cool stuff along these lines messing around with gelled flash and white balance. I’ve not tried it yet but I intend to, this looks like an ideal opportunity.

You actually shoot during the day, no messing about in the dark in dodgy areas. You set the white balance to tungsten (I think) and then underexpose. That makes the background look like a rather blue night.

You then gel a couple of flashes with a CTO gel (so with the white balance they look like day) and use them to light the subject. You can mess with the gels, white balance, general exposure and flash compensation to get the effect you’re after.

For the cost of a couple of gels it could be worth a go. Loads over on strobist about it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberMon 06-Jul-09 09:39 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Russ
>GREAT idea -- I will certainly give that a try -- sounds like
>fun
>
>However, before it gets completely dark -- I plan to shoot
>also -- and want to get the building in the background in the
>shot
>
>What flash mode do I use for that -- is it slow rear sync by
>chance ?
>
>Thanks again

Yes, if there is still light enough to illuminate the background, Camera A mode with Slow Sync will slow the shutter to expose the background correctly and the flash will light the cars. I would use TTL-BL and Matrix metering to let the system balance the background with the subjects.

However, I think a better way to shoot this is in Camera Manual, and adjust the shutter manually to control the brightness of the background; still using TTL-BL and Matrix metering. Then the background brightness is easy to dial up and down with the shutter without affecting the exposure on the cars (much). You still have to watch out for overexposure on the cars if the ambient is pretty bright, but TTL-BL goes a long way to controlling this.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

56chevy Registered since 05th Oct 2008Mon 06-Jul-09 10:01 PM
#5. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 4

Austin, US

Russ
Had not thought about doing it the way you suggest -- but it sure sounds like it would work good -- I will for SURE give it a try.

Thanks again for your replies -- I really appreciate them a lot

Art

cwthompson Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Jun 2003Wed 08-Jul-09 12:21 AM
359 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 5

Kelowna, CA

I am in agreement with Russ on doing it in manual mode and using the shutter speed to control the brightness of the background. I would also use the tungsten setting on the camera and gel the flashes with CTO gels. Or, leave the camera in daylight setting, the flash units on the car ungelled, and CTO gel any flash units on the barn to give it a nice warm feeling. What colour is the car? That would be my determining factor on whether I wanted to cool down or barn up the colour of the barn. That's the beauty of digital, we get to try different things.

Craig W. Thompson
WYMAN GALLERY PHOTOGRAPHY
www.wymangallery.com

PLF Gold Member Nikonian since 30th May 2007Thu 09-Jul-09 01:39 AM
234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How best to photograph my classic car at night"
In response to Reply # 0

Horsham, US

You're getting better advice than I could give you.

But I just wanted to say please post a picture of the car. My dad bought a '56 wagon when I was a year old and we had it until I was 9. Red and white. Fuel filler access behind the left rear tail light!

Pete

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42702 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.