Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

lighting suggestions for horse and rider portraits

Washington, US
3526 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
bobpilot Silver Member Nikonian since 08th May 2007
Fri 03-Jul-09 01:09 AM

Venue: Outside, overlooking farm or possibly on a polo field

Time and natural light: either just after sunrise or before sunset; some color in sky, or at least some illumination in the sky. The area the subjects will be will be twilight or almost dark.

Subjects: Palomino polo pony with Palomino filly. A rider in polo attire will be astride the pony. My idea is to have the pony and filly facing each other almost nose to nose.

Lighting: Three SB-800 strobes, one SB-600; one softbox, two 30 inch reflectors; gold and or bronze.

Scene dimensions: estimated at 20-25 feet wide.

Will I need a larger reflector? Maybe a rectangular frame? I don't want to illuminate the whole scene. I'd like to have a gold or bronze light on the scene; a bounce light off reflectors will spread the light out more, right? Or should I have the strobes directed toward the scene with gold cards (or whatever those colored things are called)?

Or should I use two or three of these:>

No need to bounce the light with that lightbox, right? Or is there still a need to bounce the light?

Any other ideas?