Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42487
View in linear mode

Subject: "Setting FASTER Synch Speed on my F5 with the SB800" Previous topic | Next topic
Mantova Registered since 23rd Oct 2004Tue 23-Jun-09 11:28 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Setting FASTER Synch Speed on my F5 with the SB800"

GB

Hi everyone, need some help here....

I'm having a frustrating time with Flash (SB-800) on my Nikon F5 !! When I'm shooting Weddings and my adrenaline is pumping, I need to use 1/125th of a second shutter speed to avoid camera shake with my 28-70 f2.8 AF-S lens.

The "default" shutter speed selected by the F5 when in program Mode while using Flash indoors is 1/60th of a second - too slow. If I switch to shutter priority and select 1/125th, the camera selects f2.8, which doesn't give enough Depth of Field. Selecting f4 in Aperture Priority stillr esults in 1/6th !! I thought getting faster film (from 160 to 400 ISO) would change this, but it doesn't.

If I adjust the shutter speed in flexible program mode, it resets itself back to 1/60th as soon as the meter shuts down. I tried using the Custom settings for the F5, but this changes the FASTEST shutter speed selected and I want to change the SLOWEST.

Am I missing something ? If the flash works at 1/60th at f5.6 with ISO 160 film, it should be fine at 1/125th at 5.6 with 400 ISO. How can I make this happen ? If I were to manually set the shutter and aperture, would the flash still operate in "Matrix Balanced Fill Flash" mode ?

I defintely DO NOT want to end up in "complete manual" mode with separate metering and flash - I couldn't cope with that along with the stress of shooting a Wedding in a fast, candid style !!

Thanks for your help,

Mantova
Life is for Living !!!!
The Alpha and the Omega - Nikon F, F6

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #42487 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.