Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #419
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question" Previous topic | Next topic
Tomie Basic MemberSun 07-Oct-01 03:06 PM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"

Springfield, US

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-01 AT 05:22 PM (GMT)

I just got my N80 and having some hard time picking up the dedicated nikon flash system, so here is my question.

I know the Sb-50dx, sb-26, sb-28 can use as a slave without using cord, so why we need the extension cord or SU-4 Wireless Remote on the SB-28?

Newbie,
Tomie

Tomie

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question
jjussi
07th Oct 2001
odie
09th Oct 2001
Tomie
10th Oct 2001
odie
10th Oct 2001
BJNicholls Gold Member
11th Oct 2001
meerkat
10th Oct 2001
Tomie
11th Oct 2001
odie
11th Oct 2001

jjussi Basic MemberSun 07-Oct-01 06:06 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 0

KLAUKKALA, FI

SB-28 don't work as a slave by it self.. SB-26 do!

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

odie Basic MemberTue 09-Oct-01 01:04 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 0

The Sb50 works as a slave as well. The SU4 is for older SB's to add that feature. I think if you don't own an SB, then buying one with the built in slave is a bargain.

Two weeks ago I was anti-SB50 because of the lithium batts (just too damn expensive), but considering the price of a SL cord or/an su4, the SB50 will be in my bag soon.

Tomie Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 12:41 PM
170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 2

Springfield, US

If I am going get the sb-28, should i get the su-4 or the extension cord..? and what extension cord should i get ..?

Tomie

odie Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 07:09 PM
206 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 3

Do you anticipate using the slave flash more than 5 ft away? If so the cords could get a big clumsy. Other than that it's how much you want to spend. If you don't need the power of the SB28 then you save a lot of money with the SB50 because of the built in slave.

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberThu 11-Oct-01 03:54 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 3

Salt Lake City, US

The cord will work even when you have something between the camera and the remote sensor window on the flash or SU-4. For example, if you wanted to use a flash as a hairlight behind a subject, the TTL sensor may not get the light necessary to trigger and quench it. I use both cords and the SU-4. The problem with Nikon cords is that they're not very long, so the SU-4 is much better if you're lighting a larger area.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

meerkat Basic MemberWed 10-Oct-01 11:54 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 2

silly-can valley, US

Maybe, maybe not when you say to save the cord.

If someday you pursue the no-shadow effect etc (so it is not
advise to use built-in flash as master), you may end up buying the sc-17 and put your sb50 on flash bracket, which also permit you to ceiling bounce the sb50 if you buy the camer flip bracket.

Meerkat

Tomie Basic MemberThu 11-Oct-01 04:29 AM
#7. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 0

Springfield, US

i am goin to get the sb-28 for sure now and the su-4. HOWEVER my friend just told me that the su-4 only work as SLAVE TTL remote control and if i don't use the master flash, the sb-28 with su-4 won't fire up, is that true? if that is the case, i have to get the sc17, right ..?

Tomie

odie Basic MemberThu 11-Oct-01 11:27 AM
#8. "RE: SB-28 as a slave and su-4 question"
In response to Reply # 7

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-01 AT 01:28 PM (GMT)

Yes, it is a remote slave. There has to be a master flash somewhere. Some people just test another flash or use a flash on camera.

I don't know what kind of work you will use this for. Very rarely do things look correct with one remote flash, that's why I assumed the slave system would work. Being a ttl system, the main and slave balance out well.

Many photos taken with a remote single flash alone will end up with a spot light effect.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #419 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.