Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Flash EV compensation in wireless mode

Büren, CH
329 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006
Tue 05-May-09 11:10 PM | edited Tue 05-May-09 11:11 PM by aerobat

I understand that for on camera flash (eg SB-800 on D200) the flash EV compensations set on the flash itself and flash EV compensation by holding down the flash options button and rotating the front command dial on the camera body are cumulative. Either compensation is show in the finder.
I've not found any reference in all my many books on how the compensation works if I dial in compensation for the remote flash on menu e3 Commander Mode and additionaly use flash options button and rotate the front command dial on the camera body. Are they again cumulative? In this case I noticed that compensations done on menu e3 aren't shown in the finder.
Then another related question: if I switch between on camera flash and remote. Let's say I first use the flash on camera and dial in some compensation on the flash itself. I've noticed that after going in remote and back to on camera flash the compensation value is not lost. Can I be sure that this setting hasn't got an effect whilst flashing remote? Or should I better dial in 0 compensation on the flash before going into remote operation. On a wedding I may switch a few times forth and back between on camera flash and off camera flash. Therefore I'd like to fully understand the system.
Any help is highy appreciated as next Friday I'd like to use the flash on a wedding.

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian