Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #41549
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash EV compensation in wireless mode" Previous topic | Next topic
aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Tue 05-May-09 10:10 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash EV compensation in wireless mode"
Tue 05-May-09 10:11 PM by aerobat

Büren, CH

I understand that for on camera flash (eg SB-800 on D200) the flash EV compensations set on the flash itself and flash EV compensation by holding down the flash options button and rotating the front command dial on the camera body are cumulative. Either compensation is show in the finder.
I've not found any reference in all my many books on how the compensation works if I dial in compensation for the remote flash on menu e3 Commander Mode and additionaly use flash options button and rotate the front command dial on the camera body. Are they again cumulative? In this case I noticed that compensations done on menu e3 aren't shown in the finder.
Then another related question: if I switch between on camera flash and remote. Let's say I first use the flash on camera and dial in some compensation on the flash itself. I've noticed that after going in remote and back to on camera flash the compensation value is not lost. Can I be sure that this setting hasn't got an effect whilst flashing remote? Or should I better dial in 0 compensation on the flash before going into remote operation. On a wedding I may switch a few times forth and back between on camera flash and off camera flash. Therefore I'd like to fully understand the system.
Any help is highy appreciated as next Friday I'd like to use the flash on a wedding.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 06-May-09 12:32 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash EV compensation in wireless mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I understand that for on camera flash (eg SB-800 on D200) the
>flash EV compensations set on the flash itself and flash EV
>compensation by holding down the flash options button and
>rotating the front command dial on the camera body are
>cumulative. Either compensation is show in the finder.

This is correct.

>I've not found any reference in all my many books on how the
>compensation works if I dial in compensation for the remote
>flash on menu e3 Commander Mode and additionaly use flash
>options button and rotate the front command dial on the camera
>body. Are they again cumulative?

The flash compensation button on the camera affects all Remotes and it is cumulative with whatever you set on the commander.

>In this case I noticed that
>compensations done on menu e3 aren't shown in the finder.

I never trust what is shown in the viewfinder, because it doesn't always show the right total amount.

I keep the flash compensation on the camera set to 0.0 ev to avoid confusion.

Then, if I am using a flash in the hot shoe, I set the compensation on the flash itself, and if I am using Remotes, I set their compensation on the Commander menu.

I have found that if I use the flash compensation on the camera, it is too easily forgotten, and I end up with a whole series of bad images as a result.

>Then another related question: if I switch between on camera
>flash and remote. Let's say I first use the flash on camera
>and dial in some compensation on the flash itself. I've
>noticed that after going in remote and back to on camera flash
>the compensation value is not lost. Can I be sure that this
>setting hasn't got an effect whilst flashing remote? Or should
>I better dial in 0 compensation on the flash before going into
>remote operation.

When you switch the flash to Remote mode, any compensation set on the back of the flash is no longer used. However, any compensation set on the camera is still used.

>On a wedding I may switch a few times forth
>and back between on camera flash and off camera flash.

I do the same, and this is another reason I keep the flash comp on the camera set to zero.

>Therefore I'd like to fully understand the system.
>Any help is highy appreciated as next Friday I'd like to use
>the flash on a wedding.

You are doing exactly the right thing. I have seen many very unhappy photographers who fell victim to not fully understanding the system before the shoot!

Good luck, and let us see some of your images when you're done.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Wed 06-May-09 05:28 PM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash EV compensation in wireless mode"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 06-May-09 05:34 PM by aerobat

Büren, CH

Hi Russ,

Thanks very much for your thorough explanations. I too will leave the compensation on the body at zero. Very good advice - thanks.
I've set my D200 to auto FP as I like to do some photos with shallow DoF. Do you leave the typical compensation of -1 2/3 EV for fill flash in sunlight as a starting point? I've got almost no experience with auto FP. I thought that reducing power wouldn't be required as much as beyond 1/250th the flash power reduces dramatically.
Let's keep fingers crossed for Friday. I'll sure post a few photos.

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 06-May-09 06:18 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash EV compensation in wireless mode"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi Russ,
>
>Thanks very much for your thorough explanations. I too will
>leave the compensation on the body at zero. Very good advice -
>thanks.
>I've set my D200 to auto FP as I like to do some photos with
>shallow DoF. Do you leave the typical compensation of -1 2/3
>EV for fill flash in sunlight as a starting point? I've got
>almost no experience with auto FP. I thought that reducing
>power wouldn't be required as much as beyond 1/250th the flash
>power reduces dramatically.

Auto FP is very handy and easy to use. When the shutter is below the flash sync speed the camera shoots in regular flash sync, so indoors Auto FP mode normally has no effect. Then, when you move outdoors, you can leave the camera in A mode and take advantage of the ability to use the widest apertures. Very nice! Just don't forget to switch to TTL-BL when you go outdoors, or you will almost always overexpose.

For compensation I use the same setting for regular sync as for FP sync, but when using TTL I normally use a lower flash power than with TTL-BL. Starting compensation seems to be camera specific. My D200 shoots 'hot' and I need to turn it down about -1.0 ev outdoors when using TTL-BL. My D3 is right on. I leave it at 0.0 ev. You need to figure out what starting setting works best on your camera.

>Let's keep fingers crossed for Friday. I'll sure post a few
>photos.

We'll be watching!

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Wed 06-May-09 06:35 PM
#4. "RE: Flash EV compensation in wireless mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Büren, CH

Hi Russ,

Thanks again to share your experience with us. I'm amazed at your swift response. I'll now go out to rehearse in the remaining two days and will write a small checklist to keep in my shirt pocket. The list shall contain settings for indoors chirch; outdoors in sunlight and indoors with tungsten lights for the party in the evening (gelled flash etc.)
A red label on the lens cover "REMOVE BEFORE SHOOT" shall help as well

Best wishes from Switzerland

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #41549 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.