nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #4151
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-80DX shortage??" Previous topic | Next topic
Yogi Basic MemberWed 05-Mar-03 11:30 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-80DX shortage??"

West Hills, US

I was planning to buy a SB-80DX flash for my D100, but I see that most of the internet/store retailers don't have the USA version in stock. Does anyone know if Nikon has stopped manufacturing it, or otherwise? Has anyone purchased a gray market unit and found any problems operating with their D100? For that matter does the gray unit differ in functionality/features/included accessories and does it have an English instruction manual? Thanks for your replies in advance.

Yogi.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-80DX shortage??
flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more
05th Mar 2003
grmedhat1
06th Mar 2003
nmoore
06th Mar 2003
krf Silver Member
07th Mar 2003
Lily
07th Mar 2003
LTO Silver Member
12th Mar 2003

flashdeadline Administrator Expert professional photojournalist Awarded for his multiple contributions to the eZine, Newsletters and more Nikonian since 07th Apr 2002Wed 05-Mar-03 11:40 PM
4005 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-80DX shortage??"
In response to Reply # 0

Havelock, US

Your problem is shared.
We placed an order for two D100's and some killer accessories, including the SB-80DX for our newspaper.
The lot will arrive on Friday,---- minus the SB80-DX's.
My supplier told me there isn't a single unit available in the continental U.S.
I thought he was BS-ing me--
He said that on his way to the PMA-- I told him to go to the Nikon exhibit and slap somebody upside the head.
Won't get the problem solved, but I'll feel good.
Can't answer with any experience level on the gray market question, except to say all I've heard says you forfeit warranty and guarantee privileges going that route.
So, for now, I'm trying to figure out how to use the ancient SB-28 on my D100-- and praying something breaks on this mysterious shortage.

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

---Tom

"Shoot everything f/16 at a 100 and let the lab boys worry about it."

"Nikonians membership - My most important photographic investment, after the camera."

grmedhat1 Registered since 24th Mar 2002Thu 06-Mar-03 12:45 AM
1569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-80DX shortage??"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

Hi Yogi,

If you need one bad and want to buy from a foreign country they are available in Canada.

Happy Shooting
Garry

Happy Shooting
Garry

nmoore Registered since 14th Mar 2002Thu 06-Mar-03 11:11 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-80DX shortage??"
In response to Reply # 0

Chalfont, US

The gray and US versions are IDENTICAL, with identical functions and features (right down to being able to user-select between meters and feet) and compatibility with cameras.

You may or may not get an English manual (mine is gray and has an original English manual) or (as stated in another thread) you may get an English Xerox copy from the importer.

The shortage is probably just a sign of the flash's popularity, people are buying them faster than Nikon can make (or export?) them.

Thanks,

Norm

Thanks,

Norm

krf Silver Member Charter MemberFri 07-Mar-03 01:27 AM
754 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-80DX shortage??"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

The imported SB-80dx is supposed to be identical to the USA warrantied version. The difference is just the lack of Nikon warranty coverage. Nikon's reason (and a Nikon rep told me this) is that they want to discourage people from purchasing imported equipment. (Apparently, it costs more to provide warranty coverage in the U.S. than elsewhere.)

Personally, I would not purchase any electronic equipment (from any manufacturer) without a warranty. It's too big an investment to take a chance. If you can't wait, you can always buy an aftermarket warranty (such as Mack) from B&H, but then you lose most of the savings you get by purchasing imported equipment.

Kerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Lily Registered since 05th Feb 2003Fri 07-Mar-03 09:03 PM
27 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-80DX shortage??"
In response to Reply # 0

Milwaukee, US

Yogi-
Just so you're a aware....on the "I want to Sell" board. There is someone selling a SB-80. Not sure if you checked that out or not. Hope that helps!

Lily

Lily

LTO Silver Member Nikonian since 06th Mar 2003Wed 12-Mar-03 06:43 AM
17 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-80DX shortage??"
In response to Reply # 5

Baldwin Park, US

I just got my email from B&H stating that they have the SB80DX in stock again. I just placed an order for one.

Take care,

Les.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #4151 Previous topic | Next topic