nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #41180
View in linear mode

Subject: "Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser." Previous topic | Next topic
laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005Thu 23-Apr-09 12:41 PM
1212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."

Kinston, NC, US

I recently purchased a SB900 flash and I noted the head zooms normally with the Diffusing Dome in place when the lens is zoomed in and out. I also noticed that the head on my older SB800 does not zoom when the diffuser is in place, In fact the SB800 has a microswitch which diasables this function when the diffuser dome is in place. Why one and not the other? I also noted is a book "The Hot Shoe Diaries" that some people "notch" their diffuser dome on the SB800 to defeat this feature. Any thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser.
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
23rd Apr 2009
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
23rd Apr 2009
Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
23rd Apr 2009
laddad Gold Member
24th Apr 2009
gvk Silver Member
24th Apr 2009
Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest
24th Apr 2009

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 23-Apr-09 03:33 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 23-Apr-09 03:33 PM by HBB

Phoenix, US

Laddie:

The SB900 includes several advances over the SB800, and the zoom function is one of them.

Stoffen makes diffuser domes for the SB800 that can be used in two ways, depending on how it it attached:

1) The zoom function is enabled. Zooming with the diffuser dome in place adds an extra bit of control over the light

2) The zoom function is disabled.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 23-Apr-09 06:38 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I recently purchased a SB900 flash and I noted the head zooms
>normally with the Diffusing Dome in place when the lens is
>zoomed in and out. I also noticed that the head on my older
>SB800 does not zoom when the diffuser is in place, In fact
>the SB800 has a microswitch which diasables this function when
>the diffuser dome is in place. Why one and not the other? I
>also noted is a book "The Hot Shoe Diaries" that
>some people "notch" their diffuser dome on the SB800
>to defeat this feature. Any thoughts?

From the SB-900 User's Manual:

"Power zoom function automatically adjusts the zoom position to match the lens
focal length from 17 mm to 200 mm (in FX format)/12 mm to 200 mm (in DX
format). When the built-in wide-flash adapter is used or the Nikon Diffusion
Dome is attached, the zoom position is automatically set to match a wideangle
lens with much shorter focal length."

So, from this I take that it zooms, but at a different amount of zoom than without the diffusion dome, to make sure coverage is always assured, but still get as much range as possible.

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberThu 23-Apr-09 07:18 PM
2175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."
In response to Reply # 0

TH

>I also noticed that the head on my older SB800 does not zoom when the diffuser is in place, In fact the SB800 has a microswitch which diasables this function when the diffuser dome is in place. Why one and not the other?

The SB-900 also has such a microswitch on the bottom of the head, in fact is has two. One switch is to tell the flash you have the filter holder fitted and the second is to tell it the diffuser dome is fitted. The reason your Diffusing Dome isn't activating it is because you've fitted it the wrong way round. The SB-800 dome is very simple and it doesn't matter which way round it is fitted. The SB-900 dome has been designed to go over the top of the filter holder. Hence the SB-900 dome has a distinct up and down . The SB-900 dome has a distinct bulge on one side - this must go to the top of the flash Fit the SB-900 dome the wrong way round and the microswitch is covered by that bulge and hence isn't activated.

laddad Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Nov 2005Fri 24-Apr-09 01:28 AM
1212 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."
In response to Reply # 3

Kinston, NC, US

I may be wrong but it is impossible for the diffuser dome on the SB900 to be seated "in the wrong position". It is supposed to zoom with the diffuser in place. The SB800 does not zoom and it was built this way. The question is why?

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Fri 24-Apr-09 05:18 AM
284 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."
In response to Reply # 4

Mystic, US

>I may be wrong but it is impossible for the diffuser dome on
>the SB900 to be seated "in the wrong position". It
>is supposed to zoom with the diffuser in place. The SB800
>does not zoom and it was built this way. The question is
>why?

No, you are mistaken. Noel's advice is correct. It is easy to install the SB-900 diffuser upside down. The correct orientation is shown in the manual on page D-29. With the diffuser installed correctly, the microswitch is engaged and the flash zoom setting is fixed at 14 mm. With the diffuser incorrectly installed, it is possible to zoom the flash to any setting, as you observed.

Gerry

Noel Holland Platinum Member Winner in the Nikonians 10th Anniversary Photo Contest Charter MemberFri 24-Apr-09 07:59 AM
2175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Zooming Head on SB800 with Diffuser."
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 24-Apr-09 10:32 AM by Noel Holland

TH

>No, you are mistaken.

Well.... not entirely.

It is impossible to mount the dome the wrong way round if the filter folder is being used. But if you aren't using the filter holder, then it's perfectly possible to fit it wrongly.

>It is supposed to zoom with the diffuser in place.

No it's not - what would be the point? You fit a diffuser cap to turn the directional light from a standard head inot the omnidirectional light of a bare bulb. As you can't zoom a bare bulb it doesn't make any sense to need to zoom a head behind a diffuser. In practice I usually also flip over the wide-angle adapter on my flashes before I fit the diffuser cap to ensure a nice dispertion of light inside the diffuser cap and hence an even wider dispertion leaving the cap.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #41180 Previous topic | Next topic