Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Sign up Login
Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #41099
View in linear mode

Subject: "DIY softbox diffusin material" Previous topic | Next topic
z1gary Silver Member  Crystal River, US  Nikonian since 02nd Oct 2006 Fri 17-Apr-09 10:00 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DIY softbox diffusin material"

I was looking for subject material and came accross some terminology and choices I am hoping someone can help with.

1) Grid cloth - seems to be like rip-stop nylon and what B&H sells for a DIY softboxes. yes?

2) but what is Light Silent Grid Cloth?

3) What is Butterfly/Overhead fabric?

4) What is single scrim vs double scrim?

5) Also some of this is advertised as stopping 1/4 f stop, some 1/2 and some 1 or 2 f stops...I am sure it varies alot but what does your average american softbox/umbrella stop? For instance a Wescott 46" umbrella used in shoot thru mode?
5a) how much light would a bed sheet block?

6) BH also sells Savage Diffusion Material in roll 92"x24ft for $58.50. Seems like a good deal to me. Comments?

7) How do you think the Savage material would compare to rip stop nylon?

8) Is there a better place to post these questions?



Visit my Nikonians gallery.


Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #41099 Previous topic | Next topic