Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #406
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?" Previous topic | Next topic
cesar7283 Basic MemberThu 04-Oct-01 08:18 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?"

Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?

Power.
Features.
Communication with camera.
Advanced features.
It may be used for FM2n as well.
More bang for price?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?
jjussi
04th Oct 2001
Reply message Slave with the SB-26
LucVN
04th Oct 2001
Reply message RE: Slave with the SB-26
jrp Administrator
04th Oct 2001
Ed
05th Oct 2001
jjussi
05th Oct 2001
cesar7283
05th Oct 2001
Clubsport
11th Oct 2001
cesar7283
14th Oct 2001

jjussi Basic MemberThu 04-Oct-01 12:06 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?"
In response to Reply # 0

KLAUKKALA, FI

Check: http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/speedlights.htm

>Is the SB-26 a better flash
>than the SB-28 for N80?
Yes and no.. SB-26 have more features.

>Power.

No real difference. Reading manuals you find out that in 18/20 mm. mode you get extra meter to range with SB-26. Other focal lengths are same...

>Features.

SB-26 you can use as Slave. Normal and Delayed.

>Communication with camera.

Works, same features... With SB-26 REAR-sync is selected from flash and not from camera.

>Advanced features.

Only that slave mode.

>It may be used for FM2n
>as well.

Both can be use.

>More bang for price?

If you are lucky you can find SB-26 as used. SB-28 or SB-28DX probably not...

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

LucVN Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources Basic MemberThu 04-Oct-01 09:11 PM
848 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "Slave with the SB-26"
In response to Reply # 1

Brussels, BE

Hi All,

Can someone confirm that the SB-26 can be used as a slave flash?
Is this functionality wireless (like a built in SU-4)?

Luc
Brussels Europe

Kind Regards,

http://users.pandora.be/LVN/images/NikonD2.jpg
Portfolio - Profile - Team Page
LucVN
One of the Belgian Nikonians

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberThu 04-Oct-01 11:17 PM
34191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Slave with the SB-26"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The SB-26 can be used as a slave, in the sense that it can be triggered with another flash, however I don´t believe this would be TTL, most likely the SB-26 will have to be controlled manually.
Will a owner of a SB-26 please correct me or confirm this? I am not at home with my manuals. Sorry.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile, My Gallery
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Ed Basic MemberFri 05-Oct-01 05:44 AM
1618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Slave with the SB-26"
In response to Reply # 3

US

You are correct, JRP. A sensor on the "slaved" SB-26, and not the camera's TTL meter, controls its own flash output. Setting it on "Delay" is recommended so as not to fool the on-board main flash which is by default on TTL. Photographers probably found this feature not too useful and so it was omitted on the SB-28 (just an opinion).

Ed

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

jjussi Basic MemberFri 05-Oct-01 05:46 AM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Slave with the SB-26"
In response to Reply # 3

KLAUKKALA, FI

>The SB-26 can be used as
>a slave, in the sense
>that it can be triggered
>with another flash, however I
>don´t believe this would be
>TTL, most likely the SB-26
>will have to be controlled
>manually.

Just right! SB-26 is fired with other flash! It will fire same time if set to 'S' and after other flash if set to 'D'. When slave mode it works in mode 'A' w/o connection to camera. --> you must set right ISO and Aperature settings to flash before use.

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

cesar7283 Basic MemberFri 05-Oct-01 05:15 AM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks.
Does the 28 improve on anything the 26 does?

Clubsport Basic MemberThu 11-Oct-01 04:41 AM
110 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?"
In response to Reply # 0

Go with a used SB-26 if you want to save some cash. I own the SB-26 and from what I recall and may be incorrect on this, the idea of the SB-28 was to give a slight increase in number of flashes per battery set and maybe a reduction in size of the actual unit thus the dissapearance of the slave.

I know at the time of release of the SB-28 I required a second camera mounted flash for a couple of months and considered buying a new unit but I didn't consider the SB-28 worthwhile. I ended up borrowing a second SB-26 for my needs.

The gun I own I've had since 1994 and its had extensive use and worked flawlessly. The only problem I may run into is the locking thread on the SB-26 base is starting to wear from repetitive use. Now sticking slightly in one spot. It may be starting to strip it's thread. This would be just as likely to occur on the SB-28.

cesar7283 Basic MemberSun 14-Oct-01 03:24 AM
#8. "RE: Is the SB-26 a better flash than the SB-28 for N80?"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks,
It seems like the 26 has more fans than the 28. Thanks for the info.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #406 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.