nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
alexanderbaxter

Mesa, US
157 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
alexanderbaxter Registered since 18th Aug 2008
Sat 07-Mar-09 02:24 PM

Hi!
I'm somewhat new to flash photography but am trying to learn how everything works. I have a D80 and a SB800 mounted on the camera. The other evening I was out in my back yard about 6:00 P.M. (75 degrees, sorry) taking flash pictures and using ambient light. My camera flash mode was slow/rear. My ISO was 400. I was in Aperture Priority with f3.5 setting on my 18-135 lens. My SB800 was set at TTL BL FP. This worked great. My pictures were just what I wanted. My question is why did the flash fire twice? It was my understanding that in slow/rear the front curtain will raise, the sensor will gather ambient light, the flash will fire and then the rear curtain will close. It seems that the flash is firing after the front curtain opens and again before the rear curtain closed. Any help in understanding how this works would be greatly appreciated.
Alex

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Why double flash?