Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #39959
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?" Previous topic | Next topic
Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Tue 03-Mar-09 12:41 AM
3525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
Tue 03-Mar-09 12:44 AM by Ferguson

Cape Coral, US

I've been shooting more and more with a 200-400 and bought a better beamer flash extender, but am coming to the conclusion I really need to get the flash more above the camera. Also would prefer not to have it rotate with the camera into portrait mode.

Easy, e.g. the RRS brackets are perfect.

But they are $240. So are most of their competitors, at least in the same ballpark.

OK... i spend a lot of money on camera equipment, but it's a relatively non-precision bracket of metal, it's not electronic...

Am I missing something?

are there other alternatives, something perhaps not as pricy?

Or is this just what it is?

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?
HBB Moderator
03rd Mar 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Mar 2009
Ferguson Silver Member
03rd Mar 2009
HBB Moderator
03rd Mar 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Mar 2009
Ferguson Silver Member
03rd Mar 2009
rychel Silver Member
03rd Mar 2009
jherrel Silver Member
04th Mar 2009
Arkayem Moderator
04th Mar 2009
Arkayem Moderator
04th Mar 2009
Ferguson Silver Member
04th Mar 2009
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Mar 2009
jjm203z
04th Mar 2009
nightcat
04th Mar 2009
Ferguson Silver Member
04th Mar 2009
jjm203z
06th Mar 2009
Figge
06th Mar 2009
f11 Gold Member
06th Mar 2009

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 03-Mar-09 02:58 AM
8462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Linwood:

No, they aren't made of gold, they just cost like they are.

I have several of the RRS flash brackets and you're right, they are perfect. Most of my shoots over the last several years have been night sessions with assorted law enforcement agencies in various tactical scenarios. I often had a dozen officers, one or more moving vehicles, a hovering helicopter, K9s and handlers, etc. milling around the set.

I did not want to worry about the strength or engineering of assorted L-brackets, ball heads, flash brackets, clamps, adapters, etc., etc. I have never had a RRS component let me down, and I have used them in some strenuous situations. I am obviously a RRS fan.

From my perspective, RRS components are designed from an integrated "system" perspective, instead of individual components from assorted companies that may or may not play well together.

Yes, they are expensive, but worth it in my experience.

There are obviously other opinions.

My $0.02 worth.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 03-Mar-09 03:08 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As Hall points out these products are quality products.

The flash bracket will not only be holding your flash unit above the camera, but also the camera and lens. And any working photographer maybe holding this whole system by only the flash bracket. so depending upon the camera and lenses there will be a significant investment hanging on the flash bracket.

There are cheaper models out there, but you not have the flexibility available with the RSS, CB, Wimbley or other pro level brackets. That includes angling the flash, supporting multiple flash units and a QR for the camera and plate for a tripod.

I have seen photographers in swamps with a tripod, Nikon D2x, 600mm telephoto lens, and an SB-800 all supported by a single flash bracket. That is quite a load to carry let alone mount on a tripod and I do not think one would use a cheap $75.00 piece of aluminum to carry that load.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Tue 03-Mar-09 03:15 PM
3525 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 2

Cape Coral, US

>The flash bracket will not only be holding your flash unit
>above the camera, but also the camera and lens. And any
>working photographer maybe holding this whole system by only
>the flash bracket. so depending upon the camera and lenses
>there will be a significant investment hanging on the flash
>bracket.

The RRS one only holds the flash, I guess I expected others to work the same way, it attaches to the lens foot and wraps around the lens to hold the flash above it.

Here's the one I saw which seemed ideal:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/index.html

It may be I need to pay the $240, it just seemed rather high.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberTue 03-Mar-09 03:27 PM
8462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Linwood:

Spare flash mounts can be purchased for the RRS flash mounts shown in your link.

Go here to see them, bottom of page.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 03-Mar-09 03:46 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 3

Chicago, US

You might also want to look at Flash Extender for use with a telephoto lens and your flash.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Tue 03-Mar-09 03:48 PM
#6. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue 03-Mar-09 08:08 PM by Ferguson

Cape Coral, US

>You might also want to look at
>Flash Extender for use with a telephoto lens and your flash.

Got one yesterday which is what got me on this topic.

Having to work the rest of the week and probably won't get a chance to use until the weekend.

rychel Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Nov 2005Tue 03-Mar-09 07:09 PM
56 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 6

US

I've been to to the Custom Brackets factory. The care, precision, design and product development are very impressive.

Made in the USA and worth every penny.

Mark

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Wed 04-Mar-09 12:09 PM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 3

Elgin, US

I am also an RRS fan. The have a similar setup that attaches to their L Bracket instead of the foot of the lens. Their telephone sales and support is terrific. Call them and they will describe the pros and coss of various alternatives based on your scenarios.

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 04-Mar-09 02:19 PM
5993 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Easy, e.g. the RRS brackets are perfect.
>
>But they are $240. So are most of their competitors, at least
>in the same ballpark.
>
>OK... i spend a lot of money on camera equipment, but it's a
>relatively non-precision bracket of metal, it's not
>electronic...
>
>Am I missing something?

The main reason the RRS brackets are so expensive is that they are relatively low volume and require special L-Brackets, which are very expensive, to attach the camera.

>are there other alternatives, something perhaps not as pricy?

I use the Custom Brackets CB Junior. The kit costs $109.95 plus shipping at B&H and includes everything you need:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=0&shs=cb+junior+kit&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=jsp%2FRootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

The CB Junior is solid and flips easily. The disadvantage vs. the RRS is that it doesn't fold up like the RRS, so it is a bit bulky to carry.

Whatever bracket you decide to get, watch out for the direction you need to turn the camera. If you have a grip on the camera with an alternate shutter release, you need the camera to rotate CCW to put the shutter button at the top. Some of the brackets force you to rotate the other direction.

Russ
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 04-Mar-09 02:32 PM
5993 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 9

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

Here's a video that shows how the flash flips on the CB Junior (hover over the 'i' near the top of the picture; then click 'view the junior in motion' over on the left):

http://www.custombrackets.com/scripts/difference.asp

(I don't know why they make it so hard to get to this video)

Russ
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Wed 04-Mar-09 02:34 PM
#11. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 9

Cape Coral, US

>The CB Junior is solid and flips easily. The disadvantage vs.
>the RRS is that it doesn't fold up like the RRS, so it is a
>bit bulky to carry.

OK, I think I'm starting to understand, maybe I am using the wrong term.

I need something to mount to some part of the tripod and/or lens foot.

I don't want the flash attached to the camera, really. Do I? For a 400mm lens?

Or do people do that -- mount the lens on the tripod, mount the L-bracket to the camera with the flash?

Though I am glad you pointed me to this, I might want such a creation for candid shots at weddings (not as the pro, just for friends) or parties, etc.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 04-Mar-09 03:59 PM
#13. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 11
Wed 04-Mar-09 04:06 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Everything depends upon what you want done and how you want it done, so you could end up with many parts so you can assemble the system you need for a given situation.

If you have a tripod with a Quick Release, QR, clamp you would want an antitwist QR plate or QR L bracket for the camera is all that is needed for use of the tripod with or without the flash mounted on the camera.

If you want to add flash bracket for moving the flash off camera with smaller lenses, then you would want a QR clamp on the flash bracket and maybe a QR plate for the bracket so you can mount the flash bracket on the tripod.

If you have a large lens with a tripod foot, then you want a QR plate for the foot if you are not using a flash. If you use a flash then to keep the weight on the camera lens mount down and have the flash closer to the subject, you would want a a QR plate that supports the lens and flash bracket. See Telephoto Flash, Why?

I have found a QuickFlip bracket works fine family, friends and office shoots with and without a tripod. The only problem is my tripod has a manufacturer specific QR so there are times I have to remove the QR plate, so I will be moving to a standard QR clamp/plate system and a better tripod and ballhead. But there are times when I find a flash extender would be helpful, but this is for birding or wildlife.

This last Christmas, I visited my brother in Florida and spent 3 days at the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and I see you are familiar with it. If one takes the boardwalk there to the bird feeders, one can wait for the Painted Bunting to come out of the bushes there. Since this bird is shy and stays in the shadows close to the bushes a flash with an extender would provide some needed fill light for a 20 - 30 foot shot.

You might want to spend sometime exploring the Really Right Stuff web site, there are a number of explanatory articles you might find helpful. Like a pro level camera system, ballheads, camera suupports, lens supports, and flash barkets can be a system of parts that are assembled for a specific task or one gets simple dumb system for the very general and generic work.

You also might want to look at or post in the Tripods, Heads & Camera Support forum.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007Wed 04-Mar-09 03:48 PM
1685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dupont, US

Expensive cameras, like boats and RV are expensive to own. Its also a matter of supply and demand. The consumer would never buy a flash bracket. Most are custom made and only a few are sold per year.

nightcat Registered since 05th Mar 2006Wed 04-Mar-09 05:09 PM
1040 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

LaCrosse,WI, US

At the risk of sounding stupid, how about this? Get a bent piece of aluminium with some mounting holes, attach it to the foot of the 200-400. When you want to switch to portrait, loosen the foot collar and rotate the camera. Would this work for you?

Kraig

"The wisest follow their own directions" -Euripides
"I thought there would be more elephants" -C. Columbus

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Wed 04-Mar-09 05:15 PM
#15. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 14

Cape Coral, US

>At the risk of sounding stupid, how about this? Get a bent
>piece of aluminium with some mounting holes, attach it to the
>foot of the 200-400. When you want to switch to portrait,
>loosen the foot collar and rotate the camera. Would this work
>for you?

Well, yeah, but I wasn't thinking of doing the fabrication myself.

I guess the real answer is above -- they are low volume items and I should expect to pay a couple hundred dollars for a bent piece of metal.

I was hoping someone might say "buy the X, it's similar function just made out of silver not gold".

Again, not trying to knock RRS et al, was just rather surprised at the pricing of what looked simple. It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme of NAS.

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007Fri 06-Mar-09 01:25 PM
1685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 15

Dupont, US

Yes, but once you have one, I own two by custom brackets - one with flash arm and one without- , you love them. And only need to ever buy one in your lifetime.

I use mine when doing portraits. I can flip to vertical or horizontal mode, use it as a table tripod. Is cumbersome at event shooting but does allow the flip to vertical and keeps the flash above the camera and lens.

Figge Registered since 01st Mar 2007Fri 06-Mar-09 02:58 PM
91 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

SE

I use the Wimberley flash bracket (USD 200) which attaches directly to an Arca-style lens replacement foot from RRS. Works great.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Fri 06-Mar-09 05:45 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Flash brackets - are they all made out of gold?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tulsa, US

Kirk has a verity of brackets if you would like another alternative. I only have experience with their camera plates. http://www.kirkphoto.com/brackets.html#PB2

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #39959 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.