Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

You've got to love that button!

emachuca

Merida, MX
296 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
emachuca Registered since 25th Sep 2002
Fri 06-Feb-09 06:58 PM

Hola,

I ranted in the past for the price of the SB-900 flash. However, it's been two weddings now that I have shot with it, and have to tell I really love the switch button to change the flash mode from regular usage to Master.

Still think it doesn't justify the $100 difference to the SB-800, but that button is really very convenient for my way of shooting. Maybe if it had a second button to select the flash Light Pattern, it would be justified.

When I shoot weddings, I have one flash on the hot-shoe and another on a light stand, set as Remote. With the SB-800 it was a hassle to keep changing the flash mode from regular TTL to Master.

Now with the SB-900, I keep it on the hot-shoe and have my two other SB-800s setup as Remotes. But the SB-900's button is great and I can quickly change from firing the hot-shoe flash alone, say, when shooting in "melee" mode or "close combat", to setting up the hot-shoe flash as Master and the others as Remote to shoot portraits or more posed shots, and play more with light.

By the way, and added bonus is that the SB-900 does not overexposes as easily as the SB-800 when shooting close at wide-angle lens zoom setting, with the D200. As a matter of fact, it did not overexposed any of the about two thousand pictures I just took; not so with the SB-800 which would have overexposed a few tents of up-close images.

Anyway, thumbs up to the SB-900

eMac

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary code and those who don't.

My Gallery

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

G