Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #39192
View in linear mode

Subject: "Bower SFD35N" Previous topic | Next topic
agleisberg Registered since 01st Feb 2009Thu 05-Feb-09 04:03 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Bower SFD35N"

US

I am thinking about picking up this flash for use, untill i can purchase a sb-600 or a sb-900.

Does anyone have any experience with this flash. I am new to photography and dont have alot of $. i have a Nikon D80 with a 18-55mm vr and 55-200mm vr lens.

Also is it able to fire off camera or do you need a transmitter.

One last thing would the SFD728n be a better choice?

Thanks In advance

Andrew

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberThu 05-Feb-09 01:07 PM
8496 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Bower SFD35N"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Andrew:

While the Bower flash units you mentioned may work in the TTL mode on your D80, it is not clear that they will work off-camera. I could not find any detailed specs on Bower units. I did learn that some Bower units do not have optical slave capability or PC ports for corded use.

I would suggest waiting until you can acquire the Nikon SB600. In addition to being a fine on-camera unit, it can be used remotely in the CLS mode under control of the popup speedlight in your D80. It is doubtful that the Bower units are CLS compatible.

My opinion ... there are others.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Go here for a list of membership upgrade benefits.

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 05-Feb-09 06:38 PM
26394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Bower SFD35N"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Andrew,

I agree with Hal (HBB). Use the built in Speedlight until you can add an SB-600. Once you add the Nikon flash, the Bower will not work with the CLS system off camera. You pay for what you get!
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

agleisberg Registered since 01st Feb 2009Fri 06-Feb-09 12:28 AM
13 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Bower SFD35N"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I apreciate your posts, and fully understand you get what you pay for. But I mainly wanted to pick this up untill I could afford a sb-600.

But really there is no hurry, and this will keep me within $70 of a sb-600

thanks for your opinions

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #39192 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.