Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #38630
View in linear mode

Subject: "Wireless us of SB-600 or SB-900" Previous topic | Next topic
ajkjr Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Feb 2008Tue 20-Jan-09 12:51 PM
48 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Wireless us of SB-600 or SB-900"

Cincinnati, US

I have a D3 and a SB-600 (upgrading to a SB-900 soon) I saw a photographer using his flash handheld, sitting on floor etc. I can not seem to get this to work woth the D3 and SB-600. Is this possible and if so can you point me in the right direction. Thanks. Joe

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Tue 20-Jan-09 01:31 PM
270 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Wireless us of SB-600 or SB-900"
In response to Reply # 0

Mystic, US

Since the D3 has no built in flash, you need an SU-800, SB-800 or SB-900 mounted on the camera's hot shoe to enable wireless communication to off camera SB-600, SB-800, SB-900 or SBR-200 flashes. The off camera flashes are set in remote mode, and the flash or SU-800 on the camera is set as commander. The mode and power level or EV compensations settings are adjusted on the commander. Cameras such as the D700, D300, D90 etc. can use their built in flash in commander mode to provide wireless communication to remote flashes.

Gerry

Ned_L Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, especially Travel Photography Charter MemberTue 20-Jan-09 01:42 PM
6661 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Wireless us of SB-600 or SB-900"
In response to Reply # 0

Philadelphia, US

Hi Joe,

From your topic name I'm assuming you're trying to control your SB-600 from your D3 wirelessly. Your D3 has no built-in flash, so it can't do it by itself. The photographer you saw control his flash from his camera was probably controlling the flash by:

• If the camera had a built-in flash, such as the D700 or D300 the built-in flash could have been used to be a "master" to control the SB-600 through the Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS), an infrared light control system.
  • If it was a D3 or another Nikon DSLR, the photographer could have been using an SU-800 in the hot shoe as a "master" to control the remote SB-600, via the CLS, and you didn't notice it.
  • If it was a D3 or another DSLR, the photographer could have been using a radio control system such as pocket wizards to wireless run the flash.
  • You probably would have noticed it, but another Speedlight in the hot shoe of the D3 could have been the master controlling the off camera flash. The SB-800 and the SB-900 are capable of being "masters." (The SB-600 is not capable of being a "master.") Their flash can even be turned off, so they don't contribute to the light in the photo, but still act as a "master."

So if you want to run your flash wirelessly from your D3, your options are to use Nikon CLS to remotely fire the SB-600, with an SU-800, SB-800 or SB-900 atop your D3 as your master, or use a radio system such as Pocket Wizards.

Ned
-----------------------------
Visit my Travel Photography Blog

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept.
Ansel Adams (1902 - 1984)

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #38630 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.