Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #37626
View in linear mode

Subject: "DIY Flash Extender tips, please" Previous topic | Next topic
zemlin Basic MemberTue 23-Dec-08 04:11 PM
885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DIY Flash Extender tips, please"

Carmel, US

The basic design and construction is no problem. I have the lens - a fresnel page magnifier - I have the basic design - I will use my DIY softbox concept, but I'll make a long, narrow version.
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=154&topic_id=35505&mesg_id=35505&page=
The main questions have to do with the target focal length.
I have an 80-200, and a 1.4x TC. Do I set the lens so it fills the frame at 200mm and let it go at that? I haven't come up with a good idea for making it adjustable, although if that's the hot ticket, I could probably figure something out.
FWIW, zooming the flash head does not change the size of the projected light by much when firing through the Fresnel - it just changes the shape of the "beam" from round at 24mm to sharply rectangular at 85mm. Have not been setup to see if it impacts the light intensity, but I'll check that out before the project is finished.

Karl Zemlin - www.sonicartistry.net
I couldn't pick a pocket in a pile of dirty clothes - Chris Smither

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #37626 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.