Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #36562
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 as Fill Flash Outdoors" Previous topic | Next topic
aj_witt Registered since 13th Feb 2008Sat 15-Nov-08 07:40 PM
147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 as Fill Flash Outdoors"

Jacksonville, US

Hello all!

I just tried to shoot a skateboarding contest. The sun overhead was quite harsh and I decided to use the SB800 to fill in the shadows on the skaters face. However, the max shutter speed I could get with the flash was 1/250 which was not fast enough to freeze all the action.

How can I use my flash with a faster shutter speed, or can I?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm new to using flash.

Oh, I had this mounted on my D300 if that makes any difference.

Thanks,
AJ

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Sat 15-Nov-08 07:50 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB800 as Fill Flash Outdoors"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 15-Nov-08 07:57 PM by Wayne

US

You can use D300 menu e1 (page 288) to set 1/250 Auto FP shutter sync mode, which will allow any faster shutter speed with the SB-800 flash. However, the SB-800 effective power will be greatly reduced in this mode (only when shutter is actually faster than 1/250), to only a few feet range, which may not be enough. You may need much more ISO, which just makes the sun brighter too.

To understand this, with the SB-800 on the hot shoe in TTL mode, with flash head pointed directly ahead, its LCD shows a range scale, showing maximum range of the available power. So to get the idea, watch that maximum range LCD as you rotate the shutter speed from less than 1/250 second, to a faster speed like 1/2000 second.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #36562 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.