nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #36173
View in linear mode

Subject: "CLS was invented by God himself!" Previous topic | Next topic
97C5L   US  Registered since 05th Oct 2008 Sat 01-Nov-08 04:24 AM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CLS was invented by God himself!"

Ok, so I exaggerate a bit but I just took some of my best portrait pictures ever with 2 remote SB600s, a 3ft and a 4ft umbrella and my trusty 17-55 mounted on a D300. There wasn't anything left for my SB800 to do so it sat this one out.
I used the onboard flash as commander only, with the 4ft umbrella high front left and the 3ft umbrella to the right of the camera at eye level. What fun! As always I shot RAW and thanks to the information from some of you in this forum I dialed in a +1 on the key and a -.3 on the fill. Perfect. I cropped a bit, added a bit of exposure comp an a couple and just a tad of USM but by and large everything came out nearly perfect straight out of the camera.
I'm tickled pink, if you can't tell!
Lessons learned:
1. Stop down for more DOF when shooting active 2 and 3 year olds.
2. Forgedaboud a tripod for the same reason.
3. Use an extremely sturdy system of holding up your backdrop for the same reason.
Thanks to those of you who responded to my initial queries a week or so ago. I've learned so much and had a blast applying some of that today!

--When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.-- Edmund Burke

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CLS was invented by God himself! Wayne
01st Nov 2008
Reply message RE: CLS was invented by God himself! Socrates Silver Member
01st Nov 2008
Reply message RE: CLS was invented by God himself! Drbee Silver Member
01st Nov 2008
Reply message RE: CLS was invented by God himself! 97C5L
02nd Nov 2008
     Reply message RE: CLS was invented by God himself! Drbee Silver Member
02nd Nov 2008

Wayne   US  Registered since 05th Nov 2005 Sat 01-Nov-08 04:52 AM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CLS was invented by God himself!"
In response to Reply # 0

God invented the umbrellas. They work for CLS too.

Socrates Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 01st Apr 2008 Sat 01-Nov-08 08:03 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CLS was invented by God himself!"
In response to Reply # 0

Kodachrome was developed (no pun intended) by two PhDs, Dr. Godansky and Dr. Mannes. The running joke was that Kodachrome is the best film available from God or man.

Drbee Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004 Sat 01-Nov-08 10:54 PM
5858 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CLS was invented by God himself!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-Nov-08 10:55 PM by Drbee

If God would have done it we wouldn't need pre-flash.

Thank you for the running commentary on your technique. Have you done portrait before? That's a leading question because I'm deliberating on how to proceed with portrait lighting and what's stopping me with the commander/remote flash unit approach (over the monolight approach) is the inability to be able to quickly preview subjects (i.e. monolights have built in modeling lights). Keep in mind that my subjects right now will often be energetic grandchildren who will flash me a "cheese" look and then disappear. That's the worse case scenario, but illustrative I hope .

Comments on modeling lighting or better yet - how do you achieve the lighting setup and ratios without wearing out the model.

If it's by some predetermined formula, dead reckoning, chimping, etc, how long did it take you to find a setup that was useful and produced these glowing results.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

97C5L   US  Registered since 05th Oct 2008 Sun 02-Nov-08 12:17 AM
112 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: CLS was invented by God himself!"
In response to Reply # 3

I'm learning digital portrait photography from forums such as this and by searching the net for hints, tips and techniques.
I decided to use strobes instead of monolights because I already had a SB800 and a SB600. I just recently added another 600 for use as a back light or to ligt up a backdrop with different colors and splashes of light.
This system with the three umbrellas is light and portable and extremely flexible. I can do outdoor portraits without worrying about where to find power. I can store it easily, transport it easily and set it up just as easy. And, since I live in Arizona, I can't even imagine forcing someone to work or sit under a few hundred watts of lights.
The D300 lets me zoom in to my test shots on that huge color LCD and shows me real quick any hotspots or lost shadows.
I've done a few hundred test shots with just two SB600s and using the onboard flash as a commander only. I now feel comfortable that I can repeat my setup and get almost perfect exposures in minutes. Now that I have this down, my next task is to use a 3 strobe system and get just as comfortable with it. There are a lot of options on where to place that 3rd strobe and how to use it so this will keep me busy for a while. I'm experimenting with home made snoots and color gels.
What I've found out about shooting kids is that a tripod is useless unless you can velcro their butts into a chair and even then you need a fair amount of DOF because the ants in their pants will still make them move around.
As I write this, waiting for me in my garage are two empty coffee cans, two 9ft straight poles, a 10ft stright pole and a bag of Quickcrete. Sometime this weekend this will be transformed into a background support system using two heavy duty spring clips to hold the crossbar on top of the two poles which are going to be set into the cans filled with concrete, and two smaller clips to hold my favorite blue blanket onto the crossbar.
If I ever figure out how to include pictures in my posts I'll share some of my experiments with you.

--When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.-- Edmund Burke

Drbee Silver Member  US  Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004 Sun 02-Nov-08 02:11 PM
5858 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: CLS was invented by God himself!"
In response to Reply # 4

Thank you for the the additional information. The experience route is a sound path. I may be on that one before long. I've picked up a good book on lighting and I'm using it's ideas to guide my thinking about my usual dealings with lighting and my grandchildren. However, I know the reality is that anything formal isn't going to happen for several years, waiting on their discipline to be a part of the process. At least I'm taking ratios measurements for the natural lighting in my house and using that to enhance the ususal blow-out look of a single stobe light. I'm looking forward to getting at least one additional light off the camera.

Thanks again.

Best Regards,

Roger
It is still ISO, aperture and shutter speed, right?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #36173 Previous topic | Next topic