Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #35606
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ghost images from flash" Previous topic | Next topic
57_chevy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2003Thu 09-Oct-08 02:03 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Ghost images from flash"

Griffin, US

I am using a Vivitar DF400MZ on a D70. I usually just take daytime shots or have just used the built in speed light. But I purchased this flash so I could take some shots of the cars at night during the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta. The flash works well and syncs nice at 200 speed. The flash even picks up zoom auto up to 85mm. But I have ghost images in the pics. Not on all just a few.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

zemlin Basic MemberThu 09-Oct-08 02:16 AM
885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Ghost images from flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Carmel, US

Looks to me like that's a reflection inside the lens due to the extreme brightness of the reflective number. My first thought was haze filter, but with it being inverted from the image, I don't think that's it.

Karl Zemlin - www.sonicartistry.net
I couldn't pick a pocket in a pile of dirty clothes - Chris Smither

g1975a Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2007Thu 16-Oct-08 12:30 AM
2220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Ghost images from flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Cambridge, CA

> I am using a Vivitar DF400MZ on a D70. I usually just take
>daytime shots or have just used the built in speed light. But
>I purchased this flash so I could take some shots of the cars
>at night during the Petit Lemans at Road Atlanta. The flash
>works well and syncs nice at 200 speed. The flash even picks
>up zoom auto up to 85mm. But I have ghost images in the pics.
>Not on all just a few.

How do you like this flash (aside from the ghosting)? Does it work ok on your D70? Have you tried it off-camera?

--Trying something and not succeeding is a lot better than waiting to fail: the realization of a chronic procrastinator.--

Nikon Digitutor: A great way to learn your camera   Nikonians Member Survey - Win a Markins Q3 Ball Head

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

57_chevy Silver Member Nikonian since 12th May 2003Thu 16-Oct-08 11:21 AM
90 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Ghost images from flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Griffin, US

The flash works well. No complaints. Good buy for the price. I'm
sure it is not as nice as a SB800 but for $99.00 it is a bargain.

g1975a Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Sep 2007Thu 16-Oct-08 10:24 PM
2220 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Ghost images from flash"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 16-Oct-08 10:24 PM by g1975a

Cambridge, CA

I have a chance on a slightly used one for $65CDN (~$55USD) so I guess it's worth that. Thanks for your feedback.

--Trying something and not succeeding is a lot better than waiting to fail: the realization of a chronic procrastinator.--

Nikon Digitutor: A great way to learn your camera   Nikonians Member Survey - Win a Markins Q3 Ball Head

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #35606 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.