Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #34087
View in linear mode

Subject: "Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS" Previous topic | Next topic
adriannichols Registered since 16th Nov 2007Sun 17-Aug-08 09:38 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS"

Hi all, I just got a pair of pocket wizards and was wondering if there was anyway to set my D300 to shoot in P while using the them to fire the flash? Right now the camera acts as if there is no flash connected, which may be normal but im not sure. Also is there anyway to use CLS in conjunction with the pocket wizards, ie have one wizard on the camera, another on a speedlight and get another speedlight to fire with the first using the infrared? Ive read the PW manual and its really of no help beyond connecting the unit and mounting it and a search online has turned up little help. Thanks, Adrian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS
GEEJAMES
18th Aug 2008
adriannichols
18th Aug 2008
GEEJAMES
18th Aug 2008
areohbee
05th Dec 2008
gkaiseril Gold Member
05th Dec 2008

GEEJAMES Basic MemberMon 18-Aug-08 12:25 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Hi all, I just got a pair of pocket wizards and was wondering
>if there was anyway to set my D300 to shoot in P while using
>the them to fire the flash? Right now the camera acts as if
>there is no flash connected, which may be normal but im not
>sure.

If you are using the pocket wizard in the hot shoe you should set the camera to manual and make your settings accordingly. One Wizard has to be the transmitter and the other should be set as a receiver depending on what model you are using? There is a way to set the camera to P mode and using either the built in flash or a flash in the hotshoe that will be explained with your second question.

Also is there anyway to use CLS in conjunction with the
>pocket wizards, ie have one wizard on the camera, another on a
>speedlight and get another speedlight to fire with the first
>using the infrared? Ive read the PW manual and its really of
>no help beyond connecting the unit and mounting it and a
>search online has turned up little help. Thanks, Adrian

Adrian, the CLS and pocket wizard are two totally different wireless systems, as the CLS system allows you to adjust the camera out put from the commander or camera itself, the pocket wizards only allows you to trigger the flash in most cases. So if you wish to use both systems at the same time you will have to understand how to connect them and their limitations. First of all there is a device I forget what it's call even though I have three of them you can buy which allows you to mount the pocket wizard on top of the flash head, or you can us velcro. If you connect the PW to your camera's PC syc you will have the ability to trigger the flash units attached to the pocket wizard. You can either set the Camera to CLS or Program mode, and use the flash attached to the hot shoe as frontal flash, command flash or whatever. Keep in mind that the flash Units triggered by the pocket wizards must be set manually and this is where a good understanding of how to set up your lighting ratio, flash output or whatever you want to do is needed and a good light meter will not hurt. Hope this helps.

adriannichols Registered since 16th Nov 2007Mon 18-Aug-08 01:44 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks that helped a lot, so it seems I cant use program mode unless I have one of the speedlights attached directly to the camera, not a bad thing as the pocket wizards are to be used for studio work, and work where I have time to think I wish pocket wizard and or B and H would have told me that, I might have just stuck with CLS Guess its time to get a another light meter, havent used one of those since I sold my TLR

GEEJAMES Basic MemberMon 18-Aug-08 03:14 AM
210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>Thanks that helped a lot, so it seems I cant use program mode
>unless I have one of the speedlights attached directly to the
>camera, not a bad thing as the pocket wizards are to be used
>for studio work, and work where I have time to think I wish
>pocket wizard and or B and H would have told me that, I might
>have just stuck with CLS Guess its time to get a another
>light meter, havent used one of those since I sold my TLR

My system has grown to 4 multi max wizards and 8 speed lights over the past two years with a Sekonic 587dr light meter. I think the cheaper Sekonic light meter that triggers the quad system is the Sekonic 358. Also the caddy which attaches the pocket wizard to the flash head is called the Hidozine Caddy which cost about $14 dollars, it also attaches the Wizard to a night stand. I use 4 SB 800, 1 sb 25, 26, 28, and a SB 900. Of course the older SB's are used in manual mode with the Wizards and the 800's and 900 can be used with the CLS. This gives a lot of flexabily in terms of light configurations etc.

Now that there are more different light modifiers for the strobes it's just getting better. I just purchased two barn doors from B&H which fits the SB 25 and SB 26 very well and cost as little as 9 dollars each. What is great about these doors is that a 77mm filter actually fits in the front so if you have some old black and white filters (Red, Green, Blue etc) that size you have color modifiers for the barn doors. Basicly what I am saying is that you can develope your system with some old and some new products of your choice. I like the Multi max's because you can trigger your manual strobes individually with the light meters if you choose to do so.

areohbee Registered since 22nd Sep 2008Fri 05-Dec-08 05:28 PM
3 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 05-Dec-08 05:36 PM by areohbee

US

People saying "CLS is so great" and "Nikon CLS rules" ... must not have their flash units fail to fire due to IR/Line-of-sight limitations. Me personally? - cant figure out why Nikon would choose IR for the wireless interface. I mean its barely acceptable as a TV remote control interface (I even use radio for that though!). Enter PocketWizard - "only" $188/node - OUCH! - How 'bout a RadioPopper? - Much better idea me-thinks - makes CLS closer to what it should have been in the first place (I'm refraining from other complaints for now). Presently P1 models are $180/node - STILL OUCH! - however on Dec. 12, 2008 a cheaper model will be announced, as well as a "better" model will be announced (at around the same price, I'm guessing). Anyway, my advice to myself (and you if the shoe fits...) is to hold off on the PocketWizard until Dec 12 and check out the new RadioPoppers.

RadioPopper: Device that relays CLS/IR signal via radio waves, thus maintaining all CLS functionality transparently but with extended range and without requiring line-of-sight.

PS - And how about, instead of a big bad $650 WT-4a transmitter, a small cheap (but still fast) wi-fi control/picture device - standby for Wireless-USB. Note: Eye-FI does not have enough oomph to support RAW mode.

Rob Cole

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 05-Dec-08 05:33 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Pocket wizards, program mode, and CLS"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

Here is the link to Radio Poppeer.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #34087 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.