Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #339
View in linear mode

Subject: "underexposure w/ speedlight?" Previous topic | Next topic
docampo Basic MemberMon 10-Sep-01 02:36 AM
124 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"underexposure w/ speedlight?"

North Fontana, US

Hi, I have a question regarding supposed "underexposure" w/ my n80 and either the pop-up speedlight or the SB-28. Whenever I use either one whether in Aperture or Shutter priority, I have to go to slowsynch just to get the electronic meter to disappear from its "underexposure" warning. This mostly happens indoors with average light. What I am wondering is , with a speedlight, shouldn't the shutter speed be ok between 60th to 125th of a second (normal flash) instead of having to go down to 30th or 40th of a second w/ slowsynch? Wouldn't the speedlight give the meter enough flash to use it at this shutter speed? I tried with some pictures following the meter's advice with slowsynch and I did some doing "normal" flash. I haven't received my prints yet but I was just hoping to get "enlightened"
BTW, the film I usually use is Fuji Superia 400 and this happened with both my 28-105 and my 50mm 1.8 (although not as much warning with the 50mm). Can anyone help?
David

David
The Fontana Nikonian (It's near Ranchoooo Cucamonga )

Life is like a photo...
It's how you see it that makes the difference

"Professional photographers are predictable; the world is full of dangerous amateurs" - Murphy's Law for Photography

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberMon 10-Sep-01 04:41 AM
35057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: underexposure w/ speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

As for the SB-28, it has two TTL modes: matrix balanced fill-in is the one to choose for well lit subjects, just to eliminate harsh shadows; the other mode is standard TTL, where it selects the aperture needed just to illuminate the subject, not the background. This second mode is the one that allows for faster shutter speeds. If you choose slow sync, that is exactly what you get, slow sync.
When using the built-in flash the difference becomes more critical since its GN is much smaller than that on the magnificent SB-28.
If you want subject and background included in your flash pictures you will need both faster lenses and faster film.
Below a link to some recent samples of wedding snapshots (on the run) with a f/2.8 lens and Fuji Superia X-TRA 800 here
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

jnscbl Basic MemberMon 10-Sep-01 11:44 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: underexposure w/ speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Regardless of the speedlight in use, if there is insufficient light for a decent exposure, and you pop up/turn on the flash, the meter will still indicate the ambient light conditions, but the TTL flash will correctly expose the subject. I see this type of question alot, actually, and if you think about it, the camera's built-in ambient light meter can't tell you what the exposure is going to be, only the situation as it currently exists. When the existing light is insufficient, I believe a little "lightning bolt" symbol flashes in the viewfinder, alerting you to the need for flash.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

arnie Basic MemberFri 14-Sep-01 10:48 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: underexposure w/ speedlight?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have exact the same questions with yours. I am looking forward to your results to shed some lights on me.

The previous two posts helped my understanding a little bit. But doesn't the speedlight makes some "pre-flash" before the shutter is activated and based on which the camera could know the surrounding light condition and output the exact light necessary to fix the underexposure? I am talking about multi-sensor balanced fill-flash.

Another phenomenon I noticed is when the exposure mode is set to "program", the viewfinder won't show underexposure even though it still exists.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #339 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.