Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #33618
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522" Previous topic | Next topic
41cassis14 Registered since 15th Dec 2005Fri 01-Aug-08 01:20 AM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522"

Chesaning, US

Hello there SL users. It was suggested in the D80 forum I come over here to ask my question. I have a new Nikon D80 with which I wish to use a SunPak 522 and a Norman 400B strobe. I have a Wein Hot Shoe Safe Sync which I have been told is imperitive. So I guess my question has as much to do with how to set up the camera as to how to use the strobes.
I was told by the seller that all I had to do to use off camera/off brand stobe was to use this Wein protectorshoe on the hotshoe. But I have been through both books (I admit cursorily) and yet I cannot find any reference to this except for slave operation restricted to three units. What am I missing? These cameras will do me little good if I can't use the lights I already have. While I may have to spring for a Nikon flash to use on the bracket (the 522 is old after all) the Norman is a workhorse and blasts a lot of light suitable for outdoor fill and such. Sorry if this has been addressed but I am an old shooter brand new to dig. Thanks
Lar

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522
MEMcD Moderator
01st Aug 2008
allegro
04th Aug 2008
41cassis14
04th Aug 2008
MEMcD Moderator
05th Aug 2008
rlongIII
29th Aug 2008

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Fri 01-Aug-08 03:35 AM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Lar,
The Wein Safe Sync is used to protect your D80 from sync voltages generated by the flash unit that are too high for any DSLR. If the Flash units sync voltage is too high the circuits in the camera can be burned up destroying the camera. If you attach the PC cord from your Norman Flash or your Sunpak flash to the Wein Safe Sync They should work as they would on a Film body. In Manual Mode as neither unit is Nikon i-TTL compatible. Good Luck.
Best Regards,
Marty

allegro Registered since 24th Feb 2008Mon 04-Aug-08 12:21 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522"
In response to Reply # 1

Coconut Creek, US

Lar, Marty, I owe you one... "Re: Wein hot shoe.."
Recently bought a D80, hoping to use former 'nikkor' lens. 24. 50 anf 105mm. Found out pre AF. Any how I can still use the filters. But I have a "Sunpak 544" and refuse to give that up. I know I had had a little black thing as a pc adapter for the original 35mm rollie. Now thanks to both of you I know what to look for.
You made my day...
Hy

41cassis14 Registered since 15th Dec 2005Mon 04-Aug-08 12:17 PM
71 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522"
In response to Reply # 2

Chesaning, US

Hy at another forum I got even better advice. While the hot shoe is a great idea there is another one. A radio slave. Apparently a company called Pocket Wizard makes specific to flash plug units which are either transmitter or receiver. One plugs from the hot shoe and one into the strobe. There is then no concern of high voltage damage to the delicate camera innards. I looked it up and the prices look quite reasonable. A good idea for a lot of reasons. Let me know what you decide to do.
Lar

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 05-Aug-08 05:01 AM
25585 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Lar,
The Pocket Wizards work great when you use the flash unit remotely. If you want to use the flash unit on camera (flash bracket) the transcievers may not work consistantly. Transcievers require some space between them to function correctly.
By the time you buy 2 transcievers Plus II and cords you are over $400.00 US. If you get the Multi Max transcievers the price goes above $600,00 US.
Good Luck and Enjoy.
Best Regards,
Marty

rlongIII Registered since 20th Aug 2008Fri 29-Aug-08 04:27 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using D80 and D200 with Norman 400B and SunPak 522"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The Sunpak 522 sync voltage is only 22 volts. I use my 522 on my D80 without the Wein safety shoe. The D80 can withstand up to 250 volts but must never see a negative voltage.

rlong@ivytech.edu

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #33618 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.