Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #33362
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why SB900 w D300" Previous topic | Next topic
doogienj Basic MemberWed 23-Jul-08 03:17 PM
401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why SB900 w D300"

Brooklyn, US

Greetings,

I currently use 2 SB800 for residential real estate shooting in Brooklyn, NY. My other go-to equipment includes the D300 body and 14-24 f/2.8 lens.

I'm not sure if I should or need to upgrade one of the SB800's to an SB900. Based on my equipment and shooting interiors/architecture being my main use for flash, can you see any tangible benefit with an SB900? I am trying to think how my customers would benefit from such an upgrade. I don't see myself upgrading to a D700 any time soon.

For my personal work I use flash maybe 5% of the time. I don't mind making the investment, but I need to justify it and know that it will pay for itself through improvement in the light quality or my work process. Thanks for any feedback!

Best,

Douglas
www.douglasljungkvist.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why SB900 w D300
AndyMac Silver Member
23rd Jul 2008
ScottChapin Moderator
23rd Jul 2008
doogienj
24th Jul 2008
AndyMac Silver Member
24th Jul 2008
ThunderRoad
24th Jul 2008

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Wed 23-Jul-08 04:48 PM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: Why SB900 w D300"
In response to Reply # 0

Odessa, US

I don't see what the SB900 gives you that you don't already have. If you are happy with your current flashes, I see no reason to upgrade.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 23-Jul-08 04:55 PM
7824 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why SB900 w D300"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

Hi Douglas,

I would say you probably don't need one unless the following applies to you:

1. You need more power, which the SB900 will provide in essence, for your DX sensor. Of course you could achieve the same with an SB800, if you manually zoomed to match the lens, but that would be a pain.

2. You need a third flash for lighting large interiors.

It remains to be seen whether the even lighting setting will give better illumination from edge to edge, albeit at a loss of power.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

doogienj Basic MemberThu 24-Jul-08 12:38 AM
401 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why SB900 w D300"
In response to Reply # 2

Brooklyn, US

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure what you mean by "zoom to match the lens"? Shows you how much I love shooting with flash, not.

I also do a fair amount of wedding work with my SB800 and a Quantum Turbo 2x2 battery pack. My experience is that the recycle time is much faster than 4 seconds.

Best,

Douglas

AndyMac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2003Thu 24-Jul-08 01:21 AM
3652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Why SB900 w D300"
In response to Reply # 3

Odessa, US

One of the features of the SB900 is that it recognizes when it's on a DX camera and adjusts the zoom level to match the 1.5x field of view crop of the lens in use.

So on an FX camera at 50mm the flash would zoom to it's 50mm setting.

But on a DX camera at 50mm the flash would zoom to a 75mm setting.

This gives the SB900 more effective power for a given focal length than the SB800 which would use the same 50mm setting on both cameras.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ThunderRoad Registered since 10th Jul 2008Thu 24-Jul-08 02:52 PM
69 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why SB900 w D300"
In response to Reply # 0

Madison, US

One feature of the SB900 that got my attention is that it has overheat protection when doing rapid-fire shooting. Since that is my style often, this in itself is enough reason to go from an 800 to a 900.

From what it sounds like you're doing, this is probably not an issue.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #33362 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.