Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #333
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?" Previous topic | Next topic
quietlight Basic MemberSat 08-Sep-01 07:22 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?"

I currently use for my portrait setup an SB27 mounted on SU4 on a tripod, built-in on-camera speedlight w/diffuser that came w/SU4 and a photoflood lamp. I have been using the SB27 off to one side (about 45 degrees from camera)and the photoflood about the same but a little closer to subject to the other side. I have tried using a small Photoflex reflector panel toward the back directly across from the SB27 setup to add a little backlighting/hairlight, but it doesn't have enough "oomph". While the photos have been pretty pleasing, I'd still like a little more illumination for hairlight, etc.

Can I use the SB50 as a wireless slave (somewhere behind the subject) in this setup? If so, can you tell me what I need to mount it to a tripod or lightstand? I'll have to order everything from B&H as they're not sold locally where I live.

Thanks so much!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?
jrp Administrator
08th Sep 2001
JM
09th Sep 2001
jrp Administrator
09th Sep 2001
quietlight
10th Sep 2001
meerkat
10th Sep 2001

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 08-Sep-01 09:50 PM
34214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes you could use your SB-50DX for that.
At B&H, look at:
Home<Photo<General Photo Accessories <Flashes, Brackets & Battery Packs<Flash Accessories<Flash Shoe Mounts<General Brand Flash Accessory Shoe with Tripod Socket
it will cost US$3.00 + shipping.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

JM Registered since 01st Mar 2007Sun 09-Sep-01 04:22 AM
2468 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Time to raise my retro geek flag again. For studio set ups you could buy 3 or 4 old Vivitar 283 Auto flash units and use under $20 each Wein peanut slaves for control for the cost of one SB50.
Technology is good but if you have control of the environment of the shoot, as in the studio, an Auto style flash unit will get you more light per Lira or dollar. The 283 brand new goes for $70-$90 and you can find used ones for a lot less.
Now these old dinosuars won't TTL or 3D Matrix Fill Flash Balance or make coffee but...for there purpose they do a great job.
Jeff Markus

JM
The Chicagoan

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 09-Sep-01 05:29 AM
34214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

In fact I do that when I have the patience. Great those old 283's.
Have a great time
JRP (Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) My profile
Previous photographic journey, before Nikonians: A Brief Love Story

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

quietlight Basic MemberMon 10-Sep-01 04:34 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks for your input, guys. And thanks for the direct B&H links, JRP! One more question: is there any other Nikon speedlight which can be used as a wireless slave without having to buy the SU4? Just trying to make up my mind as to the best way to go!

meerkat Basic MemberMon 10-Sep-01 08:53 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Lighting Setup, will SB50 help?"
In response to Reply # 4

silly-can valley, US

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 11:06 PM (GMT)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-01 AT 11:01 PM (GMT)

The bulky, beloved, discontinued SB-26

Since I aware you already have sb27+SU4, if you get the
SB-50, you can use it as a remote commander,
that is, mount (or via Sc-17ed) sb50 on N80 hotshoe, place
your SB27+SU4 somewhere else (say, side), and use
SB50 to wirelessly trigger SB27 fire without having
frontal built-in camera speedlight or sb50 fires (actually
SB50 does fires, but lightpath is covered). So you
may design some creative, non frontal-lit portrait,
at least, such techniques used in lot of male B&W
portrature (half face totaly dark for contrast).

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #333 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.