Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32880
View in linear mode

Subject: "Yet another batter question" Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 04-Jul-08 05:34 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Yet another batter question"

Jackson, US

Sorry if this is redundant, but I don't see the answer in some of the previous posts.

The Eneloop batteries are rated at 2000 mAh. I see others offered at 2700 mAh and a photographer recently told me 2900 mAh batteries are now available. What would be the advantages or disadvantes of each in relation to using them in a SB-800, SB-600 or in a D300? If you were planning on buying a new batch of batteries, what would you buy?

I am already in the habit of using freshly charged batteries on a daily shoot. Maybe 85% charge life after a year might be an asset, I don't see it being critical to me.

Thanks in advance,

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 04-Jul-08 07:37 PM
8441 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Yet another batter question"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Mike:

The mAh rating on AA batteries is an expression of their capacity in milli-Ampere-hours (mAh). The greater the number, the more speedlight pulses you can achieve before recycle times get excessively long. In theory, a 2900 mAh battery can produce 1.0 milliamp of current for 2900 hours or 2.9 Amperes of current for one hour (2900/1000 = 1.0) and all possibilities between. All things being equal, this battery has 200 mAh additional power over the 2700 mAh offering ( A 7.4 percent increase). The amount of energy used by an SB800 pulse is a function of the power setting selected by the photographer.

Battery selection is a very subjective and personal preference issue with Nikonians. Issues include chargeable, versus non-rechargeable, alkaline versus NiMH versus Lithium, etc. Other factors include leak down rate for rechargeables (as high as three percent per day for some models), expected lifecycle, recycle rate in speedlights, relative cost, etc.

With twelve SB800s (two complete sets = 120 batteries), I use Lithiums exclusively as the prospect of maintaining enough chargers for my herd is more than I want to think about. Plus, the Lithiums have incredible shelf life which suits my often erratic shooting schedule. True, they do not exhibit the fastest recycle rate, but that is not an issue for me. I typically shoot one frame every several minutes, not several frames a minute.

Hope this helps sort it out for you.

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 05-Jul-08 10:44 PM
680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Yet another batter question"
In response to Reply # 1

Jackson, US

I have an order for 16 Eneloop batteries and a couple of chargers queued up to send.

Before I place it, let me ask my question one more time a different way....

IF you didn't own ANY of the NiMH batteries and were going to order all new ones, would you purchase the 2000 mAH Eneloops or go ahead and get the newer Sanyo 2700 mAH or 2900 mAH versions?

Thanks again,

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 05-Jul-08 01:12 AM
25689 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Yet another batter question"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Mike,
The advantage of the Eneloop batteries is that the will hold their charge(after battery is charhed and removed from the charger an placed in storage) for a much longer period of time than conventioal NMHi batteries. Typicam NMHi batteries loose as much as 3% of their charge per day even when just sitting on a shelf.
If you shoot a often the conventioal batteries are probably better for your situation. For others the Eneloops are a better option. Good Luck.
Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32880 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.