nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #327
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-25 with Nikon CP990" Previous topic | Next topic
Ja8T Basic MemberFri 07-Sep-01 04:58 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-25 with Nikon CP990"

I found the SB-25 at a pretty good discount and have used it a few times now but, I am looking for any tip/tricks with this combination.

TIA
Ja8T

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberFri 07-Sep-01 05:45 PM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-25 with Nikon CP990"
In response to Reply # 0

Salt Lake City, US

There aren't too many tips I can offer since the 990 doesn't support most of the features of a Nikon Speedlight. I advise not using standby power mode since the 990 can't wake the flash - you have to do it manually. Don't be shy about using the flash's Auto and Manual modes when you can't get what you need using "TTL". Remember that any accessory lens or hood that you use will block the flash sensor window next to the 990's lens. You can work around using flash Auto or manual settings, but there's some trial and error involved.

Also don't forget to use slow sync whenever you can. This mode balances flash exposure with natural light and the results are excellent if the scene can work with a slower shutter speed.

You can manually zoom the flash to adjust coverage since the 990 doesn't support the feature automatically. Bounce flash can often work well, so try it when you can. The nice thing is you can immediately see when the flash techniques are working or not via the LCD and you can make adjustments until you get something that works well.

You were wise to save some money by not buying a new Speedlight like the SB-28 since the Coolpix supports almost none of the advanced features.

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Ja8T Basic MemberFri 07-Sep-01 06:07 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-25 with Nikon CP990"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks BJ... that is what I was looking for, I initially planned on spending the bucks for a more modern speedlight but found the SB-25 at such a good price.
I used the flash a few times and found different results. I have very little experience using the flash but, I do plan on using it for various situations. And of course now that I know a little more I can experiment with the various functions.

tnx again
Ja8T

BJNicholls Gold Member Awarded for his contributions to the community and the Resources Charter MemberSat 08-Sep-01 03:12 AM
10095 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-25 with Nikon CP990"
In response to Reply # 2

Salt Lake City, US

Remember that unless you're shooting in slow sync mode, your control over exposure will be only using the flash compensation via your menu selections. In slow sync, both the main exposure compensation control and the flash exposure menus will function.

Have fun with it, it's great not to waste film while you get immediate feedback on how your settings are working...

BJ

BJ

Zenfolio gallery

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #327 Previous topic | Next topic