nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32584
View in linear mode

Subject: "mixing sync voltages" Previous topic | Next topic
Zorac Registered since 27th Oct 2007Wed 25-Jun-08 04:49 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"mixing sync voltages"
Wed 25-Jun-08 04:50 AM by Zorac

CA

i have 2 flashs with different sync voltages

sb-600 -> 3.5V
vivitar 283 -> 9.5V

ideally i would plug the 238 into the pc sync port on my d200 while the sb600 is in the hot shoe. i know the d200 is fine with this, but will the sync voltage be transferred from the 238 thru the camera to the sb-600? and if so will it fry my sb-600?

ive been looking at picking up a used sb-24 if its an issue, but sync voltage doesnt match either at 4.5V. wtih only a 1V difference between it and the sb-600 i doubt it would be an issue.

anyone know? or done some mixing an matching with a story to tell?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 25-Jun-08 08:14 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: mixing sync voltages"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

I can not find the reference but I remember reading in one of my Nikon manuals.

do not hook two flashes up - one through the hot shoe and one through the PC.

the only camera that says you can do that is a Leica M4-P but then they do things different.

ledmun

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 25-Jun-08 09:03 AM
27024 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: mixing sync voltages"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Reiley,
Place the SB-600 in the hotshoe. Get a Wein Peanut Slave and put it in the Vivitar 283's PC teminal. It shuld trigger the Vivitar 283 when the SB-800 fires. A cheap and easy solution with out risk to camera or flash. I use the peanut to fire a Vivitar 285HV Manual Mode of course. It works very well. You should be able to find it at www,adorama.com or bhphoto.com . I hope this helps. Good Luck and Enjoy!
Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32584 Previous topic | Next topic