nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32244
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why use a flash bracket?" Previous topic | Next topic
wjg Registered since 23rd May 2008Wed 11-Jun-08 02:56 AM
89 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why use a flash bracket?"

US

Why are flash brackets used? In what situations does that extra distance from the camera warrant a flash bracket? Are these mostly for professional use?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

northrop Registered since 19th Apr 2007Wed 11-Jun-08 05:16 AM
251 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why use a flash bracket?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

I’ve never actually used one, but I think the bracket is especially useful for those vertical portrait shots. It keeps the flash unit above the camera at all times. Also, a quick search revealed that the bracket can also eliminate the red-eye problem.

But maybe someone with some actual experience can shed some light on this.

gheck58 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Dec 2003Wed 11-Jun-08 05:54 AM
2792 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why use a flash bracket?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 11-Jun-08 06:00 AM by gheck58

Aliso Viejo, US

A flash bracket is typically used to eliminate red eye and to center the flash over the lens. This throws the shadow directly behind the subject and eliminates the annoying harsh shadow to the side of the subject on a wall, etc. If there was always a white ceiling or wall to bounce the flash off of it wouldn't be an issue, but there rarely is. The reason why you always see pros with them is because they can never count on having low white celings or walls to bounce anything off of, so you have to bring it with you. If you spend most of your time taking family photos in a house you could probably do with out it but you'd be surprised how much better your flash photography would be. Also, most brackets will "flip" for vertical or portrait shots so the flash head still remains over the center of the lens. The last thing you want at a wedding/event is a 1,000 images with red eye or harsh shadows. Even moderately priced brackets like a Stroboframe Press or Pro T works better than no bracket. I love my Pro T.

Hecky

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32244 Previous topic | Next topic