Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32243
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to use Speedlight with BOTH SD-8 and PC cord?" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 01:44 AM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to use Speedlight with BOTH SD-8 and PC cord?"

US

I'd like to use a speedlight off-camera with a nondedicated PC cord (such as the Nikon SC-15) while using the SD-8 battery pack. I'm not sure how to do this.

Here's the thing: the SD-8 uses the speedlight's pc socket, so it's not available for the PC cord.

I can't use the SC-17 because the flash is going to be attached to a softbox that relies on the shoe mount as the means of connection to the bracket.

Photoflex: http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Products/LiteDome_xs_Accessory_Hardware___Adjustable_Shoe_Mount/index.html

Now I'm not sure what to do. I ordered one of these thinking it might help: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89996-REG/Hama_HA_6963_Multi_Sync_PC_3x_Adapter.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/ But I'm not sure. I also don't know if I have the correct cord. Moreover, what if the signals get crossed between the SD-8, camera, and speedlight while routed through the multi-sync adapter???

I need the correct setup by Friday. I've thought about maybe getting an SC-18 TTL cord and using the SC-17 as simply an adapter placed in the camera's hot shoe. But realistically, I can't get one that quickly. In addition, even if I did get an SC-18, how would I disable the TTL metering (to bypass the camera's sync speed and set a higher speed (my camera has an interline transfer CCD and can actually sync higher than the rated sync speed).

What a mess! I was thinking about using the SD-8 battery pack without the PC lead, but who knows what that will mess up! AN AS-15 won't help either.

What I need is a device that attaches to the hot foot of the speedlight via a single-pin hot shoe, offers a PC socket, and a cold foot with a built-in screw to tighten it down to the Photoflex bracket!

Advice appreciated!

Thanks.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

sillyconguru Registered since 31st Oct 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 01:02 PM
1915 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to use Speedlight with BOTH SD-8 and PC cord?"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

>I was thinking about using the SD-8 battery pack
>without the PC lead, but who knows what that will mess up!

It should work fine. AFAIK, the SD-8a needs to use the PC-sync to "wake up" so you may have to test fire the Speedlight with the SD-8a connected to the PC-sync socket before connecting as you want.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 03:16 PM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to use Speedlight with BOTH SD-8 and PC cord?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

How would one know if the SD-8 has awakened or not? There are still 4 batteries in the speedlight and it might simply run off of those and the photographer would never know (except the recycling might be slower).

So if the speedlight goes into standby - is that when the problem might arise? I can prevent it from going into standby if needed.

What is the purpose of the PC lead from the SD-8? To let the speedlight know the SD-8 is attached?

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32243 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.