Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32242
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?" Previous topic | Next topic
ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 01:26 AM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
Wed 11-Jun-08 03:18 PM by ZoneV

US

My SC-17's base is cracking near the tripod mount from the stress of being tighened to a tripod screw and supporting the weight of the flash unit. I'd like to do something about those cracks to prevent it from getting worse. I'd hate to have the whole base fall apart.

Any ideas? Epoxy?

Thanks.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?
edmun
11th Jun 2008
ZoneV Silver Member
11th Jun 2008
ScottChapin Moderator
11th Jun 2008
ZoneV Silver Member
12th Jun 2008
ScottChapin Moderator
12th Jun 2008
wailingtoad
11th Jun 2008
ZoneV Silver Member
11th Jun 2008
ZoneV Silver Member
12th Jun 2008
wailingtoad
12th Jun 2008

edmun Registered since 16th Sep 2003Wed 11-Jun-08 04:01 AM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 0

eugene, US

I used epoxy about 5 years ago on mine. Still holding.

ledmun

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 03:18 PM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Was there a certain type you used? And how did you apply it? I've never used epoxy before.

An undeniable paradox: To think that there is any such thing as an absolute rule is at worst naïve, and at best, shortsighted. There is no such thing as an always-true, all context- or situation-salient, absolute rule that always holds true…including this one!

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 11-Jun-08 11:13 PM
8102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 2

Powder Springs, US

I'd have to see it. If it is a hairline crack, I might ignore it. If it bothered me, I would route it out slightly and carefully with a Dremel. This would leave a "V" trough that you could fill with a two part epoxy.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 12-Jun-08 03:15 AM
#6. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 12-Jun-08 03:15 AM by ZoneV

US

There are actually at least 4 different cracks, three of which hit the tripod socket. The other perpendicularly crosses one of the three and continues up the side to one of the TTL jacks.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 12-Jun-08 11:37 AM
8102 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 6

Powder Springs, US

The problem with gluing is that it has to be in pieces to get the glue onto the mating surfaces. Otherwise you have to make the cracks larger in order to have something for the epoxy to fill.

Similar to a welder butting two plates with beveled edges together, you would need to route a "v" shaped trough along the cracks. They should not be too wide or deep, just enough to draw a bead of epoxy.

If your SC-17 is as bad as I surmise, I would buck up and buy a new one. I'm not good with remembering part numbers, but I believe it is an SC-28.

With three cracks reaching the threaded insert, I don't think epoxy would really do any good in the long run. You have too many weakened points.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 06:56 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You can pickup a used SC-17 on eBay for about $25. You might want to consider getting a 2nd one. You can string them together in series for greater length (which doesn't put any stress on the tripod socket). I have three of them which I'll sometimes string together.

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Wed 11-Jun-08 08:42 PM
#4. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I think the stress came from the tripod screw actually; the cord always had some slack in it.

Thanks for the tip though. Didn't realize how much of a bargain they are. I think I payed $70 for this one a couple of years ago.

ZoneV Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Jan 2005Thu 12-Jun-08 05:53 PM
#8. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Now I wonder why it cracked the way it did in the first place and how to prevent a replacement from cracking in the same way. I might contact Nikon.

wailingtoad Registered since 28th Oct 2005Thu 12-Jun-08 08:41 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to fix cracks near SC-17 tripod mount?"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Could be that the screw was a tad too long.

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #32242 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.