Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #31520
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability" Previous topic | Next topic
Ahab3 Registered since 14th Mar 2008Mon 05-May-08 01:14 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"

GB

I have Mecablitz 45 CL-4 which is none digital and would like to know if it is compatible with the D300 with regards to the voltage.
I have sent an email to Metz but this may take some time to answer.
I know that I would need a SCA 3402 M7 adapter and SCA 3045 connecting cable to get the TTL metering from the flash and all its signals.
What is the difference between the digital and none digital 45 CL-4 models?
Is it just that the digital one has NiMH battery and charger?

Alan

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability
jjm203z
05th May 2008
Ahab3
05th May 2008
jjm203z
06th May 2008
Chan Tran
06th May 2008
Ahab3
06th May 2008
Ahab3
06th May 2008
jjm203z
07th May 2008
MEMcD Moderator
07th May 2008

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007Mon 05-May-08 02:11 PM
1685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 0

Dupont, US

I would wait to hear from Metz. I used to have the 45Cl-4 with my film medium format mamiya and have since switched to the Quantum for my medium format flash.

I know that the 45cl-4 is a powerful flash and it sounds like you have the right cables. If you order from Adorama and call their professional support line they will be able to answer that question for you.

Ahab3 Registered since 14th Mar 2008Mon 05-May-08 03:50 PM
50 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks I got this reply from Metz.

(Please be informed, digital cameras of type Nikon D300 are exclusively loaded with a so called i-TTL flash control which is not supported by your 45 CL-4. Unfortunately, traditional TTL usual with analogue cameras is no longer offered by a D300 anymore. An up-date of your flash unit to achieve i-TTL is not possible. Adapters cannot be used to solve that problem. Therefore, your flash unit 45 CL-4 can only be used in simple auto flash mode A with manual settings or manual mode M. For it the camera must be set in manual mode on the same F-stop and ISO as used on flash unit (set on A mode). Unfortunately, any programmes and Tv set on camera are not possible. For a connection of them a non dedicated foot SCA301 (centre contact) with cable SCA300A is enough. See also "SCA adapter" & "ARCHIVE with..." on www.metz.de. Adapters like SCA3402, SCA3045 etc cannot be used for that purpose.
For fully dedicated flash mode with your camera suitable flash units are shown below "flashlight recommendation" such as 48 AF-1N, 58 AF-1N as well as SCA flash units like 54 MZ-4i, 45 CL-4 digital or 76 MZ-5 digital which can be connected with adapter SCA3402 M7. See also www.metz.de.

A mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital is equipped with all possible preflash features provided with digital cameras which are not possible with a former 45 CL-4. Therefore, a modern type of hydride battery is not the only one a 45 CL-4 digital will come along.)

I think the last bit lost it in the translation, note no mention of voltage problems firing the flash from a D300 just the fact that TTL flash metering will not work with this gun or any SCA adapters combo.
So it looks like I will have to upgrade to mecablitz 45 CL-4 digital plus SCA adapters or nikon SB-800. Can you get some sort of grip to mount the SB-800 at the side of the camera.

Alan

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007Tue 06-May-08 12:48 AM
1685 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 2

Dupont, US

Yes, I have the sk-6. ALlows for full ttl compatibility. Has an additional 4 batteries in mount. Flash mounts pretty much even horizontal to the camera body about 5 inches away and is only the flash head is raised over the hot shoe. But you can shoot vertical very easily without a fancy custom bracket. This sk-6 is around $200 though, as is every accessory nikon makes.

Chan Tran Registered since 04th Dec 2003Tue 06-May-08 01:25 PM
2598 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 3

Aurora, US

Metz didn't mention the voltage issue because the 45CL4 has low voltage for its sync circuit. The older 45CT4 has high voltage. Their recommendation is right on.

Ahab3 Registered since 14th Mar 2008Tue 06-May-08 11:16 PM
#6. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

>Metz didn't mention the voltage issue because the 45CL4 has
>low voltage for its sync circuit. The older 45CT4 has high
>voltage. Their recommendation is right on.

Hi Chan Tran

You are right but I thought it was best to check this what Metz said :-
(flash units of type 45 CL-4 were already loaded with a low voltage trogger according ISO10330 allowing sync voltages from 3.5V to 24V. Since your 45 CL-4 has only 15V it can be used safely also with a D300.)

Regards Alan

Ahab3 Registered since 14th Mar 2008Tue 06-May-08 11:07 PM
#5. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 3

GB

Hi jjm203z

Thanks for the info it does bump up the price a bit and it does make the rig a bit on the clumsy side. A new Metz 45 CL-4 digital plus SCA adapters would be just as expensive, but it would have a higher guide number than the SB800.

regards Alan

jjm203z Registered since 17th Dec 2007Wed 07-May-08 03:04 AM
#7. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 5

Dupont, US

go to www.shootsmarter.com. I am a will crockett adherent for all things digital camera wise. He has flash recommendations for todays nikons. THe metz flash is one of the best along with canon, nikon, quantum, but not the model you mentioned.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Wed 07-May-08 10:37 PM
26080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Mecablitz 45 CL-4 and Nikon D300 Compatability"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Alan,
If you have the old version, You will be able to use it im Manual mode or Auto mode with your camera in Manual Mode. TTL and i-TTL are not compatible so the Metz flash will not work on a digital camera in TTL or i-TTL mode.
Here is a link for checking Flash Sync Voltages: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html
I have a Metz 60CT-4 and 70MZ-5 both of them are now used as Remote flashes in Manual mode triggered by Pocket Wizards. The way I unberstand it if you want to use i-TTL you must purchase the New Metz "Digital" Models.
I have been using SB-800's in i-TTL mode with outstanding results. I do miss the power of the "Mighty Metz". I am considering the new Metz 76MZ-5 for when the extra power is required, although multiple SB-800's can be used using CLS to achieve the same or better results. Good Luck.
Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #31520 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.