Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #30883
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why should we use umbrellas?" Previous topic | Next topic
Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Thu 10-Apr-08 10:42 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Why should we use umbrellas?"

US

I assume all those users not using umbrellas when appropriate obviously must not yet get the idea how the umbrella would help their flash pictures.

So I offer this material about using umbrellas if it may be of interest.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why should we use umbrellas?
jrp Administrator
11th Apr 2008
smittymac
11th Apr 2008
rickpaul
11th Apr 2008
JimP
11th Apr 2008
Pete Wilson Gold Member
11th Apr 2008
RockyIII Gold Member
11th Apr 2008
Arkayem Moderator
12th Apr 2008
chimphappyhour
15th Apr 2008
Paterfelis
15th Apr 2008
jwsuddeth
16th Apr 2008
Horus
17th Apr 2008

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 11-Apr-08 01:02 AM
34321 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

You got me on this one Wayne.
I was rushing to answer ...

Darn good job on the article.
You'll get an email from our Chief Editor Tom Boné.
Thank you.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

smittymac Registered since 03rd Mar 2008Fri 11-Apr-08 01:14 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I was always interested inn unbrellas, good read.

rickpaul Basic MemberFri 11-Apr-08 03:24 AM
1806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

Gee, I was thinking of writing an article on the same thing!

The question on how to connect and use an speedlight with an umbrella or software comes up all the time in this forum. Would be good to put it in the ezine!

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

JimP Registered since 24th Apr 2002Fri 11-Apr-08 04:30 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 3

Southlake, US

That is a great article. I have 2 umbrellas and have wanted to purchase a softbox but now I don't see the need. Thanks for the post.

Pete Wilson Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2004Fri 11-Apr-08 05:39 PM
866 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Lake Orion, US

I always thought we should use an umbrella to keep from getting wet during a rain shower.

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Pete Wilson
Nikonian from Lake Orion, Michigan
My Nikonians gallery

RockyIII Gold Member Nikonian since 27th May 2006Fri 11-Apr-08 09:55 PM
3021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Raleigh, US

Great demo. Thanks for sharing it.

Rocky

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 12-Apr-08 02:40 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

Wayne,

This is a very nice study! Good work!

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/
http://NikonCLSPracticalGuide.blogspot.com/

chimphappyhour Registered since 23rd Mar 2006Tue 15-Apr-08 03:38 PM
652 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Liberty, US

Thank you for this article, best comparison I've seen yet! It made me run out and grab a convertible umbrella so I can play with both shoot through and reflective.

Paterfelis Registered since 02nd Nov 2007Tue 15-Apr-08 07:34 PM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 8

Austin, US

Photek makes a reflective umbrella with a diffusion screen called the Softlighter. Sets up and is priced like an umbrella, but acts like a soft box. Comes in different sizes. A local professional used one at one of our local Strobist workshops. I really like the light.

Thanks for the article.

jwsuddeth Registered since 03rd Mar 2008Wed 16-Apr-08 02:06 PM
205 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Wheaton, US

Great article. But one thing. When my subject was a person, having the softbox 18 inches from her face didn't work out so well. Normally, I would have the softbox about four feet away and meter it at F /8. I had an Alien Bee B400 at 1/32 power with a 40 inch softbox. I tried it on my daughter at about 20 inches after reading your article. But the flash at that distance was very unpleasant for her.

Horus Registered since 29th Mar 2007Thu 17-Apr-08 10:48 AM
1015 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Why should we use umbrellas?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brussels, BE

Great article and demo Wayne. Many thanks for sharing it.

I was already a beliver for speedlights with umbrellas usage but you reinforce my convictions at a time I'm (was now) thinking of using softboxes

Photography is a joy, happy shooting

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #30883 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.