Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #29355
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB800 intermittent heavy underexposure on D50" Previous topic | Next topic
aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Sun 17-Feb-08 07:16 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB800 intermittent heavy underexposure on D50"
Sun 17-Feb-08 07:36 AM by aerobat

Büren, CH

I've had my SB 800 for almost a year now working flawlessly. Yesterday evening I took indoor shots on a party and in two instances 2 - 3 consecutive shots came out totally dark. The flash battery was fully recharged before use. I did shoot in aperture priority and TTL mode. The flash was bounced with 45 degrees angle from a white ceiling. After a few dark shots it suddenly worked ok without any other changes. I did leave the battery enough time to recharge in between the shots. Also the flash definitely fired according to my colleagues. Is this rather a body or flash problem? I don't know where to start and I can't replicate it.

Thanks for any advise

Regards,

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

aerobat Registered since 05th May 2006Sun 17-Feb-08 09:41 AM
329 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB800 intermittent heavy underexposure on D50"
In response to Reply # 0

Büren, CH

Below the first foto much too dark and then then second foto 12 secs later which is ok. Again nothing changed between the two shots:

Daniel Diggelmann
A Swiss Nikonian

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

alm Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 17-Feb-08 12:29 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB800 intermittent heavy underexposure on D50"
In response to Reply # 1

Zoetermeer, NL

It's probably going to be hard to track down since it's an intermittent problem. My first guess would be dirty contacts or batteries (even though they should be fully charged). I'd try cleaning the hot shoe/foot and battery contacts, and I'd try a different set of batteries.

Did you notice if the ready light on the flash came on before the underexposed pictures (was the capacitor fully charged)? Did the flash signal the underexposure?

I'd see if the problem occurs again, if not I'd attribute it to obscure bugs in the flash/camera software.

dankeny Gold Member Nikonian since 29th May 2006Sun 17-Feb-08 01:40 PM
1511 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB800 intermittent heavy underexposure on D50"
In response to Reply # 1

Roland, US

Recycle time. You can duplicate this by shooting agressively.

Be sure the ready light is on before you shoot. If you saw the ready light, for certain, then got a dark frame, you might have a problem. Otherwise, that's life without a battery pack. It helps to use the 5th wheel.

David

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #29355 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.