nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #29036
View in linear mode

Subject: "Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?" Previous topic | Next topic
5thElement   UK  Registered since 25th Jan 2008 Mon 04-Feb-08 05:00 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"

I decided to go for the SB-600 over the 400 thanks to everyones tips in my previous posts, i've also ordered the Sto Fen omni bounce diffuser.

I'll be using the flash with a Nikon D40 and just wondered if anyone has any basic advice? its my first flashgun so just wondered if theres any stupid beginners mistakes i could avoid!

Thanks

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips? wailingtoad
04th Feb 2008
Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips? 5thElement
04th Feb 2008
     Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips 5thElement
05th Feb 2008
          Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips edmun
05th Feb 2008
Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips? Efem
08th Feb 2008
Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips? KazooTom
09th Feb 2008
Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips? 5thElement
09th Feb 2008
     Reply message RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips? KazooTom
09th Feb 2008

wailingtoad   US  Registered since 28th Oct 2005 Mon 04-Feb-08 05:17 PM
1202 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"
In response to Reply # 0

IMOHO, the SB-600 is really pretty idiot proof. An accessory you might want to consider is a SC-17/28/29 sync cord which allows you to move the flash off camera while retaining full iTTL capabilities (think of it as a hot shoe extender). Moving the flash off camera can make a world of difference - even if you just hold it to the side with your arm. The older SC-17 is electrically identical to the SC-28, and you can pick one up on eBay for about $25.

As for general flash tips, check out http://strobist.blogspot.com/ and take his "Lighting 101" tutorial.

Jon Davis
My Nikonians Gallery
My Flickr Gallery
My Epson R2880 Tips & Tricks blog

5thElement   UK  Registered since 25th Jan 2008 Mon 04-Feb-08 05:58 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Jon,

I was just looking at the SC-28 actually, looks like it's something i'll add to the arsenal shortly! i was also looking at a cheap-ish radio transmitter/receiver on ebay to use it wirelessly, i assume i'd lose ttl etc though?

This is the one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Wireless-Flash-Trigger-V2s-for-Nikon-SB-800-SB-600_W0QQitemZ150211486172QQihZ005QQcategoryZ48515QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Eitherway, can think about those things later!

Thanks for the strobist link aswell, im having a good look through there now.

5thElement   UK  Registered since 25th Jan 2008 Tue 05-Feb-08 03:56 PM
#3. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips"
In response to Reply # 2

SB-600 and the sto-fen omnibounce arrived today and wow, what a difference bounce flash makes, i can't wait to experiment some more with it and learn some other techniques. I'm definately glad i chose this over the sb-400, being able to swivel the flash head is reason alone to choose the 600 over the 400.

I'll need to sit down and read the manual sometime, it's almost as thick as the manual for the camera!!

Thanks for everyones advice

edmun   eugene, US  Registered since 16th Sep 2003 Tue 05-Feb-08 07:31 PM
8618 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips"
In response to Reply # 3

Use NiMH batteries in it for quicker recycle that does not slow down as the batteries discharge until the vary end.

ledmun

Efem   New York City, US  Registered since 14th Sep 2004 Fri 08-Feb-08 08:17 PM
2250 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"
In response to Reply # 0

This may sound silly, but when I first got my SB600 I couldn't figure out why I couldn't change things like exposure compensation.

I read the manual from cover to cover and still sat there scratching my head. Nowhere in the manual did it give me a clue as to what I was doing wrong.

As it turned out, certain menu items can only be adjusted with the speedlight mounted on the camera.

KazooTom   US  Registered since 15th Dec 2007 Sat 09-Feb-08 01:17 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you will really enjoy the flash and you made the right choice. You will probably find yourself wanting to add an SB800 for the commander function and multiple flash setups.

If you are thinking about radio control, look at the Pocket Wizard. I've read very good reviews of the Pocket Wizard but am not sure if yuo can maintain TTL with it.

Michigan Nikonian

5thElement   UK  Registered since 25th Jan 2008 Sat 09-Feb-08 11:59 AM
#7. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"
In response to Reply # 6

Thanks for the reply.

The flash is excellent, the difference it's made to indoor shots is like night and day, being able to bounce it really is a vast improvement.

You're right aswell, i really want to get the flash off camera now, so i've been looking at the cords/radio triggers, but while the pocket wizard looks like an excellent setup, it's also pretty expensive and i can't really justify one right now! so i'll be looking at a simple wired solution, or possibly one of those cheap ebay radio triggers.

SB-800 would be nice aswell, im sure the more i get into this, the more i'll want one!

Thanks

KazooTom   US  Registered since 15th Dec 2007 Sat 09-Feb-08 10:49 PM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Decided to get the SB-600, any general tips?"
In response to Reply # 7

You can start like most of us did with a synch cord. The SC28 and SC29 cords are the current Nikon models, and are not inexpensive. The older SC17 cord is electronically identical to the SC28 but you will have to find one used. I've seen several sell on eBay for under $30, but watch the shipping costs some of the dealers charge. All of those cords will allow you to mount the flash off camera and maintain full TTL function.

Michigan Nikonian

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #29036 Previous topic | Next topic