nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #28858
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?" Previous topic | Next topic
5thElement   UK  Registered since 25th Jan 2008 Tue 29-Jan-08 10:33 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?"

I just read a review of this flash and it mentioned you can only use it in manual mode? is this right? or does it work in any of the modes as the built in flash would?

Im still struggling to choose between this and the sb-600, i know the sb-600 is a far better unit, but i feel the size and price of this model is more suitable at the moment, so im swaying towards the 400 for now.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only? Wayne
29th Jan 2008
Reply message RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only? KazooTom
30th Jan 2008
Reply message RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only? 5thElement
30th Jan 2008
Reply message RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only? giljorak
30th Jan 2008
     Reply message RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only? HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
30th Jan 2008

Wayne   US  Registered since 05th Nov 2005 Tue 29-Jan-08 11:13 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 29-Jan-08 11:14 PM by Wayne

>I just read a review of this flash and it mentioned you can
>only use it in manual mode?

That cant be right. Where is that said? The SB-400 manual is here:
http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-400.pdf

The way I read it, it only does Manual mode if with the D40, and it does not do CLS Remote operation, but it otherwise does iTTL as its main mode.

KazooTom   US  Registered since 15th Dec 2007 Wed 30-Jan-08 01:28 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?"
In response to Reply # 0

The SB400 is fully compatible with your D40. The instructiion sheet indicates that manual mode is only available on the D40 and not for other camera bodies. The flash should work in all modes when mounted on the D40.

As mentioned in your earlier posts, I still think the SB600 would provide much more versatility for you. However, the SB400 is a quality flash and is substantially better than the built in flash.

Michigan Nikonian

5thElement   UK  Registered since 25th Jan 2008 Wed 30-Jan-08 04:39 PM
20 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi,

Thanks for the replys.

The more i think about it, i am more tempted by the sb-600, so i might just bite the bullet and get that instead. Not being able to swivel the head of the sb-400 seems like a big drawback which im sure will irritate me before long!

I assume the 600 will work with all modes on the D40 aswell? i guess thats pretty obvious. I've never bought any external flashguns before, so all the specs are new to me. Im sure in the long run, i wont regret getting the 600.

giljorak   US  Registered since 29th Aug 2006 Wed 30-Jan-08 05:48 PM
49 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?"
In response to Reply # 2

The SB-400 is also fully compatible with the D300.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
There are 11 kinds of people in the world, those that know binary, those that don't, & those that think they do.

Proud member of America’s most distrusted minority!!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.   Phoenix, US  Charter Member Wed 30-Jan-08 06:09 PM
8551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB-400 with D40 - manual mode only?"
In response to Reply # 4

Tim:

And what about the null set (00)? Perhaps those who are unaware that the world exists?

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #28858 Previous topic | Next topic