Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #28394
View in linear mode

Subject: "PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80" Previous topic | Next topic
HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 06:29 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"

US

Hello everyone. My husband bought me a SB-600 for Christmas. It worked on the camera, but when I set it up to work wireless, it would not work. I called the nikon help number, and they couldn't explain it. I took it to our local camera shop, and they used one of their D80s to try it on the flash. It didn't work. We assumed it was a defective flash. I returned it to B&H and just received my new one today. SAME PROBLEM!! I am so sad and frustrated and don't have a clue what to do. Could someone please guide a newbie through this? I am doing everything it says to do. Also, how do I find out if something is wrong with my camera?

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help.

HoJo

HoJo

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with ...
Wayne
17th Jan 2008
HoJo
17th Jan 2008
BrianS Silver Member
17th Jan 2008
HoJo
17th Jan 2008
BrianS Silver Member
17th Jan 2008
Wayne
17th Jan 2008
HoJo
17th Jan 2008
Wayne
17th Jan 2008
HoJo
18th Jan 2008
KazooTom
18th Jan 2008
HoJo
18th Jan 2008
BrianS Silver Member
18th Jan 2008
HoJo
18th Jan 2008
Wayne
18th Jan 2008
HoJo
18th Jan 2008
Wayne
18th Jan 2008
HoJo
18th Jan 2008
Wayne
18th Jan 2008
KazooTom
19th Jan 2008
HoJo
19th Jan 2008
Wayne
19th Jan 2008
HoJo
19th Jan 2008
KazooTom
19th Jan 2008
HoJo
21st Jan 2008
KazooTom
21st Jan 2008
MarkARay
18th Mar 2008
HoJo
21st Feb 2008
alm
22nd Feb 2008

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Thu 17-Jan-08 07:01 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hard to compete with the camera shop and Nikon help. Nothing was mentioned about what you are doing to try this.

But...

You have to put the D80 flash menu into Commander mode.
You have to put the SB-600 into Remote mode.
Both must be set to use the same channel and group numbers.
And you must open the D80 flash door.
Then it should just work in most reasonable line-of-sight situations.

Two good help sources describing the setup are:

http://www.nikonians.org/nikon/d200_and_cls/

The D80 and D20 are essentially the same, and this article decribes the SB-600 setup too.

Also here is another:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 07:35 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thanks for responding. I am following the instructions in the Fast Track to Wireless Speedlights brochure I got at a CLS workshop to the letter. They are the same instructions as the two links you referred to. I am wondering if there is something wrong with my cameras built in flash's ability to communicate with the SB-600. Has anyone experienced this? I am I just supposed to ship my camera off without knowing if something is for sure wrong? I am not familiar with what you should do if the equipment is broken.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Wayne.

HoJo

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Thu 17-Jan-08 08:28 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 2

Longmeadow, US

When you put your on board flash in commander mode and press the shutter does the flash fire? You should see it fire as the remote flash needs to "see" this as a trigger.

Brian

My Zenfolio

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 08:42 PM
#4. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I am not sure I understand your question (I am a little slow). The pop up flash is up and firing. Or if I set it in -- mode, it won't. Are their any other settings in the camera that could be affecting this? Thank you very much for a response.

HoJo

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Thu 17-Jan-08 09:02 PM
526 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 4

Longmeadow, US

I have the same set up as you, a D80 and an SB600. When I set my on board flash to commander and "--" I still get a noticeable flash fired. Have you tried it set to "TTL"? to see what happens?

Brian

My Zenfolio

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Thu 17-Jan-08 08:56 PM
937 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 2

US

No clues given, it seems a tough one.

You say that including the camera shop, you have tried two different D80 cameras. And have tried two different SB-600. It does not seem reasonable that both were bad in the same way.

So I speculate that nothing is bad, and it would seem the only thing left to change is your procedure, but there is no hint of your procedure. Loosen up, use some words, give us a few paragraphs about what you are doing? In tedious detail. That is the only way we can know anything about your situation.

How familiar did the one camera shop guy seem to be with Nikon CLS? Obviously knowledgeable, or not very sure? Probably what you need is some other local help, someone actually familiar with it, that can show you how to do it.

But all it takes is this:

You have to put the D80 flash menu into Commander mode.
You have to put the SB-600 into Remote mode.
Both must be set to use the same channel and group numbers.
And you must open the D80 flash door.
Then it should just work in most reasonable line-of-sight situations.

Is there any specific detail about any of that that gives any question?

Is the camera undoubtedly in Commander mode? And submenu TTL mode?

Is the SB-600 undoubtedly in Remote mode? Undoubtedly configured to same channel as the camera menu? What channel? What group? What does camera Commander menu say about that same group? I'm guessing this may be it.

SB-600 manual page 61.
D80 manual page 96.

You possibly can set the D80 Commander submenu for one group to show -- (which means "do not fire") instead of TTL, but that does not seem likely. The group should say TTL.

Could be setup of menus. Could be orientation of the units.

Where are the flash and camera with respect to each other? Direct line of sight, in front of camera, and only maybe 15 feet? Is the flash head rotated so that the CLS sensor (on side of body, just in front of battery door) pointing roughly at the camera?

What about your batteries? Are they fresh or charged up? Low batteries cause strange failures.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Thu 17-Jan-08 09:59 PM
#7. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I have tried so many different things, but here is what should unquestionably make it fire.

I go to Custom Setting 22, select Commander Mode. All Groups say TTL, Comp 0, Channel 3. I press OK

On the flash, I press Zoom and - together, select On with the remote "squiggled" line, Mode, Channel 3 Group A.

I have tried respectively changing channels, groups, shutting off unused groups, moved the flash to different places (nikon help guy said to place the flash in its stand and angle it to 45 degrees and take a picture of the flash)

While not extremely friendly, the camera shop guy was probably very knowledgeable as he was irritated by a co-worker who first told me that the SB-600 will not work wirelessly with the D80. He knew without flinching what to set everything to and seemed as puzzled as I about why it wasn't working.

Batteries were fresh when I got the first one and haven't been used except for my futile attempts to get this to work. I will get some fresh ones, just to be sure.

Is it possible that there is another custom setting that may be affecting this?

I have a friend about an hour away that has the same set up. I may have to go try her flash on my camera and vise versa. I really don't want to ship my camera off for Lord knows how long if there is nothing wrong. I wish all the authorized Nikon dealers had a computerize testing system that could check everything, like AutoZone.

Thanks a million for helping me. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Best regards,

HoJo

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Thu 17-Jan-08 11:34 PM
#8. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank you HoJo, I am very comforted hearing you say the right words. I am sorry that it is no help to you, but it does sound right, like it is supposed to work. No clue why not. You have already tried both another camera and another flash, so there must be some other factor we are overlooking. I wish I could think of something, but I cannot imagine what it could be however.

You mentioned taking picture of the flash, which seems a good test. I assume the internal flash does fire, but the problem is that the remote flash does not fire. Sometimes not being direct line of sight between camera and flash can be a triggering problem, but any reasonable situation normally works fine, and some unreasonable ones too. You can always rotate the flash head on the remote body, so the flash points at subject, and the sensor on battery door side points at camera.

Grabbing at straws...

Read SB-600 manual page 60.. two things, about the menu page 53 that can disable remote operation, and at bottom, says flash A or AA mode can keep flash from firing in remote.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 01:29 AM
#9. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Thanks for all your help. I will look at the last point later tonight. I am also going to go see my D80 friend and also replace batteries. I will feel like quite a bonehead if that turns out to be the problem, but I will report back with my tail between my legs if it is. Thanks again. Hopefully I can solve this problem and possible help someone.

Thanks again. I just joined Nikonians a week or so ago. It is very nice to have such helpful and knowledgeable people to use as a resource.

Sincerely,

HoJo

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Fri 18-Jan-08 03:28 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 9

US

AFter re-reading my sb600 manual, it sounds very much like you have the SB600 in either A or AA mode. The manual states clearly that the flash will NOT fire in either of those modes when used as a remote flash.

If that is the case, don't feel too badly. Sometimes the most seemingly complex problems have the simplest solutions.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 04:05 AM
#11. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 10

US

KazooTom,

Thank you for responding. Could you tell me more about the A and AA modes? I found the line in the manual about it not working in these modes, but for the life of me, I cannot find anymore about them in the book. It is very possible I missed it as I have been reading it constantly since this morning. I have hit every possible combination of buttons and have not seen anything like that. That would be an wonderful solution to a VERY frustrating problem.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

HoJo

BrianS Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Feb 2007Fri 18-Jan-08 01:33 PM
#12. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 11

Longmeadow, US

Hojo,

You are lucky to have someone who has a working setup that you can consult with. It makes for some easy troubleshooting. The only other thing I think you could try is resetting your D80 to its default settings and start over. Another thing (I'm not really sure this would matter) but have you tried putting your camera in M,A or S mode? This is just a guess but maybe the remote flash doesn't work when in one of the preset scene modes...????(Again,total guess)

When you do get it working, please let us know what the problem was. I would love to know!!!

Good Luck,

Brian

My Zenfolio

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 02:42 PM
#13. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 12

US

I am lucky. I have reset the camera to default several times. I have also tried different modes. It won't even offer commander in the cheater modes. Thanks for your thoughts. Anything is worth a try at this point. I will let everyone know what the problem is when I figure it out. Hopefully, it won't result in having to sent my camera in. Thanks again.

Best Regards,

HoJo

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Fri 18-Jan-08 02:48 PM
#14. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"

US

>Could you tell me more about the A
>and AA modes? I found the line in the manual about it not
>working in these modes, but for the life of me, I cannot find
>anymore about them in the book.

Probably that means some cameras allow setting Commander menu to A or AA mode in Commander menu (D300 provides AA choice in its Commander menu), but A or AA wont work there for the SB-600 (because it does not have A or AA function - SB-800 does). So it must mean you should specify only TTL or M in the camera Commander menu for a SB-600.

Do you use the Reset on page 12 to get it out of Remote mode? (as opposed to the Zoom/+ button to exit). I think you should try this Reset (page 12), to reset the flash to default values, to see if it makes a difference when you go back to Remote mode.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 06:19 PM
#15. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 14

US

I tried the reset as you suggested. No change. I have a silly thought. Do you have to have the accessory shoe cover on? I like many others have lost this long ago. I tore through both my camera bags looking for the one that came with my D80 or my N75, but couldn't find it. It shouldn't matter, but maybe it does.

Anyone willing to try taking theirs off and trying it on the D80?

Thanks a lot!

HoJo

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Fri 18-Jan-08 07:27 PM
#16. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 15

US

I think you mean the Nikon AS-19 plastic stand for the shoe foot, to let the flash stand up on its own.

No, this stand is entirely separate, and is not at all necessary to make Remote mode work. The stand is no factor at all.

You can however replace the stand for $8,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300476-REG/Nikon_4763_AS_19_Speedlight_Stand.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Fri 18-Jan-08 07:41 PM
#17. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 16

US

I am sure the answer is still no, but I was referring to the little plastic cover (BS-1) that goes on the hot shoe on my camera. It came with one, as did my N75. It is impossible to keep up with and as far as I know only protects the contacts from dust, water, etc. I just didn't know if the contacts to the right and left (not the middle round ones, but the long bowed strips of metal to the sides) had to be compressed. Like I said; it's a stretch, but any answer, even a dumb one, is welcome.

Thanks again for your help.

HoJo

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Fri 18-Jan-08 09:05 PM
#18. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 17

US

I am not even aware of having one of those BS-1 covers. I dont know what that comes with, but it looks like some sort of rain seal. Does not seem to be listed as "in the box" for either D80 or SB-600. I see B&H also has those for $3.

No, nothing else is necessary for CLS remote wireless flash. The bare hot shoe is fine. Remote CLS only needs the camera flash and its Commander menu, and the external flash and its Remote mode, and four AA batteries I suppose.

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Sat 19-Jan-08 12:58 AM
191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"

US

The A and AA modes are set at the camera, I agree that they cannot be set at the flash. I have also tried every set of combinations for my flash and cannot find reference to those modes. The TTL modes are set by the camera when the SB600 is in the remote mode. Is it possible you have the camera flash mode set to A or AA instead of one of the TTL modes? As stated above, it is also imperative that both the camera and flash are on the same channel and group settings. I wish I had a simple and quick answer for you. I don't have access to a D80 (only my D40) so can't experiment with an exactly matching setup.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Sat 19-Jan-08 01:43 AM
#20. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 19

US

KazooTom,

Where are the A and AA modes found? The Commander Mode screen doesn't have anything like that. Is it possibly on a different Custom Setting? I realize that you have a different setup. I have been searching through the flash and camera manuals and can't find anything on it except that one bullet about it not working in those modes. It is all very confusing. I am not thrilled about calling the 1800 number again (I waited 30 minutes to get off hold) and he was very hard to understand and offered no help the first time. Any advise from anyone about these modes is appreciated.

Thanks for your response,

HoJo

Wayne Registered since 05th Nov 2005Sat 19-Jan-08 03:08 AM
#21. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 20

US

>KazooTom,
>
>Where are the A and AA modes found? The Commander Mode screen
>doesn't have anything like that.

Chart on page 96 of the D80 manual (group A/B) shows it has AA mode,
and says the SB-600 will not work with AA.
Select TTL there instead.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Sat 19-Jan-08 04:16 AM
#22. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 21

US

Thanks for that. I didn't notice that the Groups had AA, but it has always said TTL. Good info, but the mystery remains. I will report back after consulting with my friend. Thanks a million everyone.

Sincerely,

HoJo

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Sat 19-Jan-08 09:24 PM
#23. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 22

US

I hope you can get your issue resolved. We will all be waiting to hear what your final solution is.

Michigan Nikonian

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Mon 21-Jan-08 04:10 AM
#24. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 23

US

First, THANK YOU VERY MUCH to everyone who so graciously offered to help me with my problem. Nikonians is a great find! Unfortunately, it appears my camera is not functioning properly. This weekend, my friend tried my flash on her D80 and it worked. I then tried my camera on my friends SB-600, no such luck. Looks like there is some kind of problem with either the built in flash or the iTTL. I don't know; I am certainly no genius. Hopefully, the good folks at the repair center are. Anyone had any experiences, good or bad, with Nikon Service? I am very frustrated that my 4 month old camera is going to the shop.

Thanks again for all your help. Without y'all, I would just keep thinking I am just a crazy rookie. Now I know, I am still a rookie but not crazy.

Best Wishes To All,

HoJo

KazooTom Registered since 15th Dec 2007Mon 21-Jan-08 08:06 PM
#25. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Take some solice in the fact that the repair is being done under warranty. I'm sure it will be good as new when you get it back.

Michigan Nikonian

MarkARay Registered since 18th Mar 2008Tue 18-Mar-08 07:43 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#28. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 5

US

I was having a similar problem and changed out the batteries in the master SB-800. Worked like a charm.

>What about your batteries? Are they fresh or charged up? Low
>batteries cause strange failures.

HoJo Registered since 07th Jan 2008Thu 21-Feb-08 03:06 AM
#26. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Just an update. My D80 came back from the shop today and everything is working fine. They really didn't give any description of how or why it wasn't working. Either way, I am glad she's home and working. Thanks for all your help.

HoJo

alm Registered since 29th Oct 2005Fri 22-Feb-08 11:51 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#27. "RE: PLEASE HELP...new SB-600 not working wireless with D80"
In response to Reply # 26

Zoetermeer, NL

Thanks for the update! Glad it got fixed.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #28394 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.