nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #28136
View in linear mode

Subject: "How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding dancin" Previous topic | Next topic
jmeyer   Maldon, UK  Registered since 25th Oct 2007 Mon 07-Jan-08 07:30 AM
73 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding dancin"

I'm keen to explore the benefits of using multiple SB-800s during dancing at a wedding and would appreciate some tips.

I've only got the one SB-800 at the moments but I'm planning on buying two more to use with my D200.

I've seen shots of dancing where there's obviously been more than one flash - hair highlights are a give away, and the shots look far more interesting than by using just one flash on the camera.

Can anyone spare a few moments to share their experiences using multiple flash during dancing? I'm keen to know how where and how to place/mount the off-camera SB-800s and what settings one should use.

Hope you can help.

Regards

John

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da LATENTA
07th Jan 2008
Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
07th Jan 2008
Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da jmvideo
08th Jan 2008
     Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da LATENTA
08th Jan 2008
          Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da sorin
08th Jan 2008
               Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Jan 2008
                    Reply message RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da MarkF
08th Jan 2008

LATENTA   US  Registered since 21st Feb 2007 Mon 07-Jan-08 02:43 PM
1153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 0

John there is no pat answer to your question. Only life-long
study and practice. Start here:
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

The Nikon CLS system may not be usable in a room full of moving
people. Lots of questions come to mind:
1) Can I use the ceiling?
a) How high is it?
b) What color is it?

2) Is there a place to mount my speed-lights above the action?

If I had an 8-10 foot tall white ceiling. I would aim 4 of my Vivitar's
(set for full power) at various points on the ceiling. Put the 5th one
on-camera (vary the power based on distance), via a bracket, and fire away. Oh, if
the room was too big for my eBay RF flash triggers, I would just
have to purchase some Pocket Wizards..

I had a darkroom. Now I have a PC. PC smells better.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Mon 07-Jan-08 11:59 PM
6042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 0

>I'm keen to explore the benefits of using multiple SB-800s
>during dancing at a wedding and would appreciate some tips.
>
>I've only got the one SB-800 at the moments but I'm planning
>on buying two more to use with my D200.
>
>I've seen shots of dancing where there's obviously been more
>than one flash - hair highlights are a give away, and the
>shots look far more interesting than by using just one flash
>on the camera.
>
>Can anyone spare a few moments to share their experiences
>using multiple flash during dancing? I'm keen to know how
>where and how to place/mount the off-camera SB-800s and what
>settings one should use.
>
>Hope you can help.

I used two SB800's at a reception. I put one on the camera hotshoe with a Gary Fong LS II attached to act as the commander, and the other on a 10' light stand in one corner of the room with both the little red IR window and the flash head facing the opposite corner. It is very important the round red IR window is facing towards the commander. Then, from wherever I shot in the room that flash would go off as well. The diffuser is important, because it always sends some of the commander light toward the slave unit no matter which direction you shoot.

I've only tried it one time and plan to try it again soon. It was a very reliable setup, and I got some interesting results.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

jmvideo     Registered since 07th Jan 2008 Tue 08-Jan-08 06:33 AM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've already had a look at the Strobist website and, yes, there's lots of good advice there.

Once again, many thanks.

Regards

John

LATENTA   US  Registered since 21st Feb 2007 Tue 08-Jan-08 02:13 PM
1153 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 3

Take a look at this. The lighting set-up
is explained in the text.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/dembflipitdiffuser/discuss/72157600315127612/

I had a darkroom. Now I have a PC. PC smells better.

sorin   RO  Registered since 06th Sep 2007 Tue 08-Jan-08 03:05 PM
386 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 4

if the room is big you won't get reflected light to reach the cls slaves so you need direct view.to do this you need to place the slaves above people's heads. if there isn't big distance the pop-up flash will work as trigger.

the best way to do that requires a friend to hold one or two slaves with the IR sensor at least at heads level to make sure it will trigger. both of you could move in any position. ask him to keep a position like in 3 point lighting relative to you. it's not hard and it works, just some people will look strange at you. keep the front light very diffused and a back light to show body shape or hair etc. the more friends you can get to hold SB slaves the better . you can also use coloured flash filters for interesting effects. if you really have lots of SB's you can fix some to highlight room architecture.

sure you could use radio triggers but i really love the cls so i try to find solutions instead of using something else.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Tue 08-Jan-08 04:48 PM
6042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 5

>if the room is big you won't get reflected light to reach
>the cls slaves so you need direct view.to do this you need
>to place the slaves above people's heads. if there isn't big
>distance the pop-up flash will work as trigger.

I have not had any problem with any of the big rooms I work in. The secret is to get the remote flash up high on a light stand and make sure the red IR window is pointed toward the commander on the camera. A diffuser like the Fong LS II also helps a lot to make sure some of the commander flash energy goes toward the remote.

I used this technique in a room that was about 100 feet corner to corner and it worked well.

I have also asked other people to hold the remote flash and that works as long as the person doesn't put his finger over the red IR window and keeps it pointed to me.

Russ
http://russmacdonald.smugmug.com/

Russ
Nikonian Team Member
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

MarkF   Northern Virginia area, US  Registered since 20th Dec 2005 Tue 08-Jan-08 05:42 PM
195 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How best to use multiple SB-800's during wedding da"
In response to Reply # 6

Some suggestions in addition to the great advice you received from the other posts.

Arrive early and experiment on several techniques, positions, settings.

I set my SB-800 remote on an unused Piano, and aimed the flash in the general area of the subjects, then tested it. Too Harsh! Then I aimed it at the 25' ceiling at about 15 degrees off of vertical - looked great. I added +1EV to the remote flash and it was even better. I shot at 1600 ISO with my D300.

Lesson learned: a tripod that positioned the flash higher (above standing people) would have helped.

I am using a Metz 58 as the master. Also, I hooked up a Quantum Turbo SC battery to the remote since changing batteries in the middle of the show was not feasible.

MarkF

D800
I still own an F100; do you think film will make a comeback?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #28136 Previous topic | Next topic