nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #268
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-28 & 2X TC" Previous topic | Next topic
JasonC Basic MemberWed 22-Aug-01 12:13 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-28 & 2X TC"

My Teleconverter "manual" (Kenko MC7 Teleplus 2X) indicates that the TC will not work properly with flash. I'm assuming that this is because the flash will not recognize the effective aperture. Is this true and if so is there a rule of thumb for dialing in compensation on the flash? (+2?) I've taken a few shots using the on camera flash of my F80 with the teleconverter attached and the results were not bad (used outdoors in daylight for fill with no compensation). My tests with the SB-28 are not back from the lab yet... any help would be appreciated.

Jason.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-28 & 2X TC
jnscbl
22nd Aug 2001
JasonC
23rd Aug 2001
f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources
23rd Aug 2001
jnscbl
23rd Aug 2001
JasonC
25th Aug 2001
Alex
26th Aug 2001

jnscbl Basic MemberWed 22-Aug-01 02:24 PM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-28 & 2X TC"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Incomplete information---what exactly does the manual say?---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

JasonC Basic MemberThu 23-Aug-01 12:15 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-28 & 2X TC"
In response to Reply # 1

The manual for the TC is actually one piece of paper.

Here is what is says regarding exposure:

Exposure Mode

* In the manual, program, shutter priority AE aperture priority AE, and depth priority AE modes; correct exposure can be obtained. However, the indicated aperture is different from the effective aperture (2 stops less than indicated)

* In the depth priority AE mode, correct exposure can be obatined. However, when focusing in DEP mode, the depth of field is insufficient, so this mode cannot be used.

* The flash AE modes cannot be used, because correct exposure cannot be obtained.

...That's it. Anyone have any ideas?

Jason

f5fstop Awarded for his contributions to the Resources Basic MemberThu 23-Aug-01 02:01 AM
2947 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-28 & 2X TC"
In response to Reply # 2

Private, UM

The only thing I can make of the last statement on your TC instruction page is they are trying to tell you that the information to the flash from the camera pertaining to the aperture will be incorrect. However, under most conditions with a Nikon camera and a Nikon flash such as the SB-28, the flash output is decided by the flash sensors in the bottom of the camera’s mirror box. If more light is required to light the subject, the camera will signal the flash to increase the flash duration, and if the light on the subject is too great, the flash will be signaled to decrease duration.

Just my thoughts; however, I’m not an expert on flash photography.

Doug

--Take only photographs, leave nothing but footprints--

NC, second week of October, 2001...

"Take only photographs, leave only footprints"

jnscbl Basic MemberThu 23-Aug-01 03:50 AM
3601 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB-28 & 2X TC"
In response to Reply # 3

US

My guess on "flash AE modes" is using a flash in AUTO mode, in which the flash measures its own output. I would say ignore it. This is why you have TTL flash, so you don't have to worry about adjustments for add-ons.---scott

--scott

"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."
Pablo Picasso

JasonC Basic MemberSat 25-Aug-01 01:03 AM
#5. "RE: SB-28 & 2X TC"
In response to Reply # 0

Thanks Guys,

Appreciate the input.

Jason.

Alex Basic MemberSun 26-Aug-01 08:24 AM
46 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: SB-28 & 2X TC"
In response to Reply # 5

FYI I the following set up works perfectly for me - F90X, Sigma 105mm EX macro, Teleplus 2x TC, SB-28. I use this set up for plants, invertebrates etc. and have no problems with exposure.
Hope this is of interest.
Regards
Alex
Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #268 Previous topic | Next topic